[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1961 Vox Phantom Pickups?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1961 Vox Phantom Pickups?

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by audiodrome » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08 am

I just came across this on eBay this morning:

I have a 1965 UK-made Phantom and the pickups look a lot different. Were these the same pickups in a different housing or did they change pickups after the first run? I'm curious as to the difference in sound. I know that the UK-made and Italian-made Phantoms had different pickups and a slightly different sound but this is the first time I've come across these pickups.

[/img]
Paul
audiodrome

by cheepaxes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 pm

I know next to nothing about Vox guitars. To me, those pickups look for all the world like Telecaster neck pickups.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Mgeek » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:27 am

I haven't got a phantom to say for sure, but they look like the same pickups that were used on the other early Vox guitars (and basses!)- metal covers over bar magnets mounted on a metal base.

The later UK Vox pickups are completely different...square plastic covers, pole piece magnets, and hardboard bases

I prefer the sound of the later ones, I think- though those early bar magnets do sound cool too! Surprisingly high output
Mgeek

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts