[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Hagtrom swede 1970 Vs. a Swede made today

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hagtrom swede 1970 Vs. a Swede made today

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by metalheadmarc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 pm

I found a guy on CList selling what he says is a 1970's Hagstrom swede. I offered him 400 hundred for it which I feel is a fari price, however I don't really know hom much they go for. He's been insistant on selling it for $600. Is this a fair price? It's cherry red.

I actually like the look of the hagstrom swede and have read positive reviews about it. Thing is, is it worth trying to get an older one as opposed to just ordering a new one. They both have the H-bar truss rod correct?

If this is a solid deal, what should I look for in the serial number to make sure it's as old as he says it is?
metalheadmarc

by jackjumpedup » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi I found this on another forum. It seems consistent with what I've seen. Hope it helps.

Each serial number has a three digit batch number from 449 (1958-59) up to 999 (1977) and then starting at 001 again, followed by another 3 digits which number the instruments within the batch

So if the first 3 digits of the serial # are 449 the guitar was made from 1958-59

From 449 to 999 made between 1959 & 1977

001 & up would have been made after 1977
jackjumpedup

by Spud1950 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 pm

As far as price,it depends on condition.Without seeing pictures of this specific guitar,it's useless to guess. A link to sale site for pictures would be very useful.If the guitar has all it's original parts and is in very good cosmetic condition, $600 is more then fair. I've seen lots Swedes in this condition sell for $800-$1000. Some can sell even for more as a couple of the colors,the blue and purple, are extremely rare. As far as comparing the vintage Swedish made ones to the newer Chinese made ones, from my experience, it's no contest. The originals are far superior both in workmanship,and quality of the electronics and hardware. I've played a couple of the vintage and tried a new one at a local music store.The vintage Swedes are great,high quality instruments,way better sounding then the current ones. Also be aware that the currently made Hagstroms have nothing to do with the original company except for the name,which is used under a licensing agreement with the Hagstrom family. As far as dating it, go to this forum and post the serial number in "Hagstrom - Cult Swedish Guitars - A UK based Appreciation!" category. A member will tell you the production year.

Spud1950

by cheepaxes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 am

I bought a beat up Swede about 6 years ago for $450. It has lots of dings, missing parts, non-original tuners and pickups and in need of some neck work. At the time I looked around and saw Swedes in good condition going in the $600-1000 range.

I'll need to use the serial number guide posted here to try to date mine.

-Scott
cheepaxes

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts