[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Year and Model of my Klira

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Year and Model of my Klira

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 2manyrads » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:12 am

Hi

Would anyone be able to tell me the model and year of my Klira guitar?

I have attached a picture of it.

http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz23 ... G_1840.jpg

Thanks
2manyrads

by wietse » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm

no picture here, place the link to your picture between [img]and[/img] than it will be visuable.
check this site out http://www.musikkeller.com a specialized german guitarstore, with a lot of pictures on their site of old german guitars, in stock and sold.
wietse

by 2manyrads » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 am

Reposting my picture.

Thanks for the help.
2manyrads

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 am

Hi 2manyrads.

What you have is a Klira 319 known as the "Top Star". It was made around 1969.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by 2manyrads » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks for the help.

Do you think the guitar has any value. My sister gave this guitar to my son who is 11 and I am a bit concerned if he will take the proper care of it.
2manyrads

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Well 2manyrads, I'm not really sure what the Top Star is worth but we have Forum members that excel at sleuthing out prices so maybe one of them can offer an opinion. I don't think there are a lot of Klira's in the US. Klira certainly exported, but it's always been my impression that most of the instruments in the US were brought back by servicemen stationed in Germany.

If I were in your situation, I'd put the Top Star in the case and in the closet. I'd then take my son out guitar shopping and let him pick out a brand new Squier Statocaster or something similar for around $150, a cheap digital effects box and a small practice amp like a Line 6. I think this rig would give your son optimal conditions for determining his level of interest in the guitar and if he learns to play you can pull the Top Star back out of the closet in a few years and let him experiment with a hollowbody.

Old guitars are finicky and usually need work to play properly. The Top Star is also probably a bit too big for your average 11 year old. I think your best bet for nurturing a musician is the Squire and the effects box. Kids love the sounds they can get out of the effects processor. It makes even playing on one string fun :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by wietse » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm

wietse

by 2manyrads » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, the info was much appreciated.

My son has been taking guitar for 2 years and we did purchase him a starter Fender guitar kit. The fender has taken it share of abuse and has a few nicks and chips in it, but that happened quite some time ago.

I think we might purchase him a mid range guitar next and put the Klira away for awhile or just let him use it for special events he participates in.

He did mention when playing it it was rather large and did not sit comfortablly on him when playing.

I wish I could get a catalogue or literature on the guitar but I have had no luck. I think it must be an obscure year and model and I may not be able to find one.

Thanks again.
2manyrads

by Mgeek » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Yep- definitely put that away for a few years...

Like you've already said- it's probably too big for him now, and when he's fifteen or sixteen he'll want to strip the original paint off, paint it black and stick horrible heavy metal pickups on it, then when he's eighteen or nineteen he'll want to trade it for something boring that everyone else will have...

See how he likes it when he's in his early twenties on ;) That's a good age to start appreciating weird old vintage guitars.
Mgeek

by johnnyb » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 pm

or you could post it on ebay starting at .99 and buy him that medium level rig with what it sells for. but the closet idea is good too. also, a decent amp is just as important as a decent guitar, if not more so. great amps can help make cheep guitars sound pretty good. not so much the other way around.
johnnyb

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts