[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - old guitar cracked neck

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

old guitar cracked neck

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by freemandnj973 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:53 pm

I was given this guitar from a neighbor who he said his dad bought it while in europe about 30-35 years ago. he was using it on gigs and the neck cracked about 10-15 years ago and kept it in a case since then. im trying to find out the company who made it and see if its worth fixing. everything on the guitar is original from what i was told. here is some pics

Image[/img]
freemandnj973

by VintAxe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Hey freemandnj973.

Sorry you've had no luck getting a manufacturer ID on your Les Paul copy so far, but these guitars are almost impossible to ID without some very specific information. First, you must realize that any company that ever built a copy guitar had a Les Paul copy in their line. So we are talking about hundreds (if not thousands) of potential builders. Many of these companies also sourced hardware from the same sources so a general "look see" at the instrument is not much help.

The good news for you is that your guitar has a fairly unique headstock shape, that helps with an ID, but a clear picture of the entire headstock would help more. A picture of the neck plate is also sometimes useful. Is the guitar solid wood, or plywood? The more detailed pictures you can include the better the chances that someone may recognize who built your guitar. The brand name on the headstock is just a distributor and doesn't tell us much about the true builder.

As far as restoration, that is a nasty crack in the neck. I don't see a cost effective way to repair it. If you replace the neck, it's not the same guitar. If you love it for sentimental value, hang it on the wall "as is" and love it. If you want to play it, I suggest buying a different instrument that's similar. I don't think you would ever recover the cost of a repair to fix it.

As usual, just my opinions. :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Mgeek » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:56 am

Mgeek

by Spud1950 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 am

Spud1950

by Mgeek » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 pm

interesting...

I've played a few Egmond guitars that were a bit earlier than this, and they were VERY cheap and cheerful, with a pretty bad reputation for flat fretboards, dodgy neck joints and crap cheap materials

However- this has got a set neck, and if it's made of solid woods I'd be inclined to look favourably upon it

To be honest- fixing the neck yourself would be pretty easy unless you're cursed with two left hands.
Mgeek

by freemandnj973 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:51 pm

from what i can tell when i opened it the other day its solid wood inside not plywood cause if so it was going in the trash. i was contemplating just having a shop cut the neck off and add a bolt on neck if its a cheap guitar but if the cracks fixable then i'll definitely go that route until i can afford to get a real one. my gramps said he'll help me fix it cause easy fix so im just gonna do that.

i also just found out that he and les paul were very close friends he helped les paul design and improve the pickups for his guitars back in the 60's. when i said he was full of it he pulled out one of Mary Ford(les pauls wife) personal acoustics she autographed and gave to my grandfather. what a small world lol
freemandnj973

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Well freemandnj973, it appears my colleagues are more optimistic than I concerning the repair. I can see how you could squirt adhesive into the crack and then top it up with filler, sand, finish, etc. However, here is my concern. A crack that wide and long has certainly reduced the structural integrity of the neck. After sitting in the case in this weakened condition for 15 years, I would be concerned the neck has twisted. Of course, you can evaluate this potential problem by sighting down the neck to see if a twist exists. If not, I guess the neck is stable enough to proceed with a "fill the crack" repair.

If I have misinterpreted the repair strategy feel free to set me straight my appreciated contributors. :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:18 pm

You do bring up a valid point as far as possible further neck damage such as twisting or warping due to sitting for so long with that crack in it. As far as repairing the crack itself, of course it would somehow have to be clamped tight after gluing. I certainly don't advocate simply filling it with glue and filler.That is merely a cosmetic repair,no strength at all. As far as structural integrity, properly glued and clamped wood is actually stronger then the wood itself. You can break the wood itself easier then at the point where it's glued together.

" i was contemplating just having a shop cut the neck off and add a bolt on neck if its a cheap guitar"

You're really over simplifying what is required to put another neck on this guitar. It would be a very time consuming and expensive repair, costing far more then this guitar is worth. Save your money to put towards a better,playable guitar. Fix it yourself or use it for wall decoration or fire wood.
Spud1950

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Ok Spud1950, I think we are seeing this repair issue similarly. My initial thought was that with a crack that wide and long, the fretboard must be effected. If the fretboard is good as it sits, then clamping the wood might cause it to twist. If the fretboard is influenced by the crack as it sits, my thought was that clamping the neck to close the crack may not necessarily bring the fretboard back into alignment (although it might).

You are definitely right about glue being stronger than wood and the cost of replacing a neck on a set neck guitar.

Anyway, it's my concern about maintaining a playable neck after the repair that made me think the job was best suited for a professional and therefore perhaps cost prohibitive. I guess on the other hand freemandnj973, and his Grandpa can give the repair a shot and see what happens. I certainly don't believe much harm can be done trying a repair given the current state of the neck.

good luck with the repair freemandnj973, but keep a close eye on fretboard alignment.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by johnnyb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:49 am

ive actually had nightmares from that picture. the only thing you can do is give it a shot and see what happens. im guessing the neck is already twisted. a pro would cost a lot and i bet they wouldnt want to even take the job, or at least steer you away from it and spend your money on a better one. clamping that to get it to close might be almost impossible, id do a few test clamps before putting in the glue. also think about using something like gorilla glue that expands. because im pretty doubtful it will clamp closed all the way. and still, the fret board will probably need attention. and as spud said, cutting off a set neck and slapping a bolt on is a little more involved than you think. and probably more costly than having the crack repaired. especially once you factor in the cost of a new neck. id just give it a shot and hope you get lucky. oh, and if the crack goes all the way to the truss rod, which it probably does, a bunch of glue in there may make the rod non functional. good luck.

john
johnnyb

by wietse » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 am

wietse

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts