[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Vox Phantom XII Stereo

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vox Phantom XII Stereo

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Sancho » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 pm

So, here's my newly acquired Phantom XII/folly/money pit!

Current job list is:

1. Ten new pots
2. Complete rewire
3. New pickguard
4. Ten new nobs
5. New backpad
6. Total rebuild
7. Check the line on the neck is OK
8. 12 new gear covers for the tuning heads
9. Put it all back together

Any of you guys have any of the parts or, most importantly, a wiring diagram??

What could possibly go wrong?!

Image :D :D
Sancho

by VintAxe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:24 am

Wow, definitely an ambitious guitar wiring project.

I've never seen a wiring diagram for this guitar but I have heard that the guys at Guitar Diagrams will create custom diagrams based on your specifications. It may not be original spec, but it may move you forward if you can't find an original schematic.

Here's the link:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Sancho » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Tell me about it!! I blame you guys for getting so excited about one last year; it kind of rubbed off and I ended up buying a project....

Thanks for the link - kind of hard to describe the setup using their online forms so I've emailed them.
Sancho

by johnnyb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 pm

i found another vintaxe topic with this guitar pictured very well, including the electronics. also, here is what i found that the electronics are supposed to do:

The Phantom Stereo XII had three special offset pickups - the equivalent of six pickups. Three individual pickup mode selectors switches; two separate sets of tone and volume controls for each pickup.

looks like the top 6 and bottom 6 pots are the same setup. the tricky part looks like the 3-3way toggles. but that also looks pretty straight foreword from the pic. the stand alone toggle.....hmmm..

if the pickguard is a tough one to find and its not all busted up. try sanding it down with a flat block and some 2000 grit wet sand paper. then hand buff with some polish compound. might be good enough till you find an original. good luck.

http://vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1492

john
johnnyb

by Sancho » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks John. Funny you should mention that, my luthier friend and I were just pondering the same question. In fact, I just posted this on another forum:

"Does anyone know what the controls are supposed to do? I get the volume and tone for each side of each pickup, but what on earth is 'reverse' and why is there a three-way switch with 'off' (I understand that), 'stereo' and 'mono'. Is this to do with output? If so, how are you supposed to get a stereo signal from a (factory fitted) mono jack?"

I'm glad it's not just me that the extra toggle has confused.

The pickguard is more than busted up - it's a homemade job to the wrong template. I've been to see Roberto Brandoni here in London this morning to look through his vast stash of Vox parts, but he doesn't have that guard. I'll get a pattern one and get it engraved I guess.
Sancho

by johnnyb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 pm

i was checking out the wiring picture and knobs. heres what im getting. looks like the stand alone is a master off/on/stereo switch. if you notice the jack is stereo so it will need a stereo chord with a splitter at the end. the three toggles together are for the individual 3 pickups. a choice to make eich either stereo, reversed or off. not sure what is getting reversed though. the whole pickup or just one half? i guess that could have a few options. maybe out of phase?

john
johnnyb

by Sancho » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 am

Yeah, thanks John. Our best guess at the moment is that the idea of 'reverse' is to switch which half of the pickup is left and which half is right. I guess stereo was still exciting enough in the 60s for that to seem pretty innovative.

Anyway, Jim's got that picture of the wiring sat on his laptop, thanks, and is going to have a good look at it.
Sancho

by Spud1950 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 am

You can get a repro pickguard from Pickguard Heaven.

The groups at the top of the page,which determine the price, are based on what material you decide to have the guard made out of.

Spud1950

by Sancho » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks Spud. I emailed them last night to check on shipping etc before placing an order, as it happens.

My only concern is that they are, of course, blank. I'm having a chat with an engraver here about being able to reproduce the original writing. This is turning into a labour of love!
Sancho

by Sancho » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi guys,

Just thought I should update this thread. The Phantom is now back together and working as intended. I am still missing some original parts (pickguard being the obvious one) but she's all done and playing.

Sancho

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts