[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 196? Vox Super Lynx Deluxe

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

196? Vox Super Lynx Deluxe

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by fwotyoz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Just picked up a new beauty - a late 60's Super Lynx Deluxe. Serial # is 319683.

The previous owner said that everything's original except the nut - and it's missing the tremolo spring and bar.

The nut has definitely been replaced and it looks like a piece of the fret board behind the nut was chipped off (on the side where your fingers don't go). It doesn't effect playability at all but I figure it dings the value. Besides that it's in pretty incredible shape for its age. There's little to none of the "checking" of the finish like I saw on most of these guitars on the internet. There's a few tiny knicks but nothing bad. I have worse on my new guitars.

Here's a pic (the bridge cover is present and in good shape, I had it off in the picture for some palm muting):

By the way, it sounds incredible on the neck pickup - super warm and bluesy. The bridge pickup sound isn't nearly as exciting but still very usable for some surf rock or something.

Any thoughts or info? I'm looking for a gigging hollow-body but I'm wondering if this guitar would belong better in a collection? Anything is very appreciated!

Steve
fwotyoz

by VintAxe » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Steve.

The Super Lynx Deluxe only appears in the 1966 and 1967 Vox catalogs so your guitar was likely produced during this time frame. As you probably know, Vox moved it's guitar production to Italy in late 1964 where their guitars were built by EKO. However, I believe your guitar was built by Crucianelli using a "Double T" neck supplied by EKO.

Here is a page of information on the Super Lynx Deluxe supplied by the Vox Showroom:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/guitar/superlynx_dlx.html
Last edited by VintAxe on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by fwotyoz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi VintAxe,

Thanks for the reply - I agree it appears to be built by Crucianelli using the EKO neck.

Any ideas on whether it's collectible or has potential to be? I don't want to beat the hell out of a rarity by gigging with it.
fwotyoz

by VintAxe » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, I saw your post over at Jules' forum so I know you paid $300 for the guitar. I think even with the missing whammy parts this was a good price. The Blue Book doesn't list the Super Lynx Deluxe but it does value the more common Lynx between $500-$700.

Vox guitars will always have a following and Martin Kelly's Vox book will likely boost interest in the instruments. I don't think your SLD will ever go for crazy money but it will likely appreciate at a reasonable rate of return.

Personally, I wouldn't gig with any guitar I couldn't replace if it were stolen. If I owned the SLD I'd leave it at home.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by fwotyoz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

That makes sense and was along my lines of thinking but this is my first foray into a vintage guitar so I thought I'd appeal to the common wisdom.

The help is much appreciated!
fwotyoz

by RogerT » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 am

You guitar was made in February 1967.

Crucianelli only made the LYNX, not the Super or Super Deluxe. So it is all-EKO. Pricing is right as noted.

Here is mine ~

BTW, perfectly accurate reproduction trem arms are available.
RogerT

by erikzen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I picked up one of these recently and am in the process of fixing it up. I have a question about how the pickups are supposed to be wired.

On mine, with the toggle switch in the bottom position, the bridge pickup is active. Like you, I find the bridge pickup to sound very thin and twangy and while interesting, probably not a very usable sound on its own.

However, I found that I can also mix in some of the neck pickup, filling in and warming up the sound. It's actually pretty cool but is that the way this was designed? I would think the bottom position would be for the bridge pu only, but maybe not.

When I move it to the middle position, I can clearly hear both pickups are engaged and the neck seems to have more gain than in the bottom position.

In the top position, I get the neck pickup only.

So is this the way the guitar is designed or is there a wiring issue or "modifcation" going on here?
erikzen

by jwv5330 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:34 am

I have my grandfather's 196? Vox Super Lynx Deluxe and it's Red. Serial # 274420. Does anyone know what the estimated value may be on this guitar? It's in pretty good shape and still plays. Also, what is the best way to go about posting it for sale? Is there a place for that in this forum somewhere? I live in NW Ohio. If anyone is interested, let me know.
jwv5330

by VintAxe » Fri May 18, 2012 11:47 am

jwv5330.

If you go to the Forum index and scroll to the bottom you'll see the category "Guitars and Gear For Sale or Trade". You can list your guitar there.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jwv5330 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks!
jwv5330

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts