The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vox Teardrop questions

Posts related to vintage guitars produced in Europe, Canada or Australia

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by ringo-11 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:34 am

Hello again

I'm looking for a bit of a steer from Vox heads on there on my Vox teardrop body. As it is, I'm not entirely sure about the routing on the body. It all looks original and not done after looking at the paint (appears to be white underneath the crude black overfinish) but other models I've seen don't have the large hole beneath the bottom pick up where the saddle would go and it's not the right place for a trem. The long routed hole running down the side of the p/ups is also a mystery (my first thought was a recess for the push buttons on a special but these have extra control knobs).
The back also has an access hole with screws for a cover. I have seen this on early teardrops but usually has a backpad

Much headscratching and searching for other pics on the web.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Now I've figure out posting pics, I'll try and get some other Vox guitar pics up at some point

Cheers
ringo-11

by VintAxe » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey ringo-11.

I cannot answer any of your technical questions, but here are my thoughts.

If you want to restore this guitar to original condition it will cost more in time and money than buying a decent original example. This body needs a refinish which automatically cuts the resell price relative to an original in half. Most mid-priced vintage guitars (under $1,000) are worth more in parts than they are as intact instruments. You will spend more trying to purchase vintage parts than the guitar will ever be worth. Not to mention the time it will take to locate these parts.

If you are interested in using a vintage skeleton to build a cool project guitar, you really don't need to be concerned with the original routs. Just make plates that cover the holes and use your imagination when designing the new layout.

As a vintage restoration, this is a money pit I suggest you avoid.

Just my opinion,

sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by ringo-11 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:31 am

Thanks for the honest advice!

Yeah, I think the latter is the route to go and let my imagination go as wild as my wallet allows (which isnt that far!) I realised it would need a refinish and I wasn't intending to fix up and try and sell for any profit (and also add another overpriced questionable guitar to the market). As I only paid the equivalent of $20, it's probably worth having a mess around with.

I think also repro bits are the best bet. Also whilst I'm on that point I'd jut like to recommend and acknowledge the help and advice given to me by Jack Charles at Phantomworks. A thoroughly knowledgable and genuinely helpful bloke both on this one and my Bulldog.

Better tell the wife it's going on the wall at some point.........
ringo-11

Return to Vintage European Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts