The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

My first Tokai/My first post!!

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by skydog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:41 am

So yeah, I'm new here. I've been a long time member of the gear page where I just picked up my first Tokai; I believe it's a 61 RI SG model. Any help there is appreciated. I haven't received it yet but am pretty stoked about this guitar. I had a 1963 Gibson SG JR for years and regretfully sold it. (although I wasn't fond of the neck which was that wide flat profile). I should get this Tokai next week and will be sure and give a report! Anyway for now I just wanted to touch base and say Hi! and post some pics. Any info on this guitar will most surely be appreciated.
skydog

by VintAxe » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:29 am

Hi skydog.

Very clean looking SG copy. From what I can tell the guitar is a 2003 SG60 model with mahogany body and PAF vintage MK-2 pickups. It is the top of the line Tokai SG copy and probably retailed around 60,000 yen. At this time SG model numbers reflected retail price so SG60 = 60,000. I'm looking at the 2000 Tokai catalog so it is possible that the price crept up by 2003. Yours might actually be a SG65 if the price went up. I probably have a 2003 Tokai catalog around here so I'll check when I get the time. Just for comparison, the cheaper SG35 model had a Nato body and cheaper pickups. It retailed for 35,000 yen.

Let us know what you think about it once it arrives.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by skydog » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 am

I will. Monday June 6th is NGD! Any info you can glean from your catalog is appreciated! Thanks
skydog

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts