[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Bruno Conqueror Info?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Bruno Conqueror Info?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jtricer1973 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:02 am

First of all hello and cool forum. I picked up this hollow body the other day at my local guitar store. It was a trade in and I picked it up and just couldn't put it down so for $150 bucks I had to buy it. It plays and sounds really good and is my new favorite. Plus it just looks cool.

The only markings are on the headstock badge which says Conqueror and Bruno in smaller lettering and it says Made in Japan on the neck plate. I would just like some basic info on it such as what year was it made, kind of wood its made of, exactly where was it made, model number/name, etc.

I've searched google and found a few pics of similar guitars with the Conqueror/Bruno badge but none exactly like mine and none with this style headstock.

Its in excellent condition with hardly a nick on it. I suspect it has spent many years in a case in the closet somewhere.

It looks orange in the photos but its really a cherry burst.

Thanks

Image[/img]
jtricer1973

by Spud1950 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 am

Can't find exactly what model number that would be,and odds are you probably never will,but here's some general info. Conqueror was one of the brand names,along with Ventura, that was used by the C.Bruno & Son company.They imported and distributed instruments,they didn't actually manufacture anything.Your guitar was made at the Matsumoku factory.They manufactured guitars for many brand names, most notably Aria. Your guitar is very similar to some of the early Aria Diamond hollow body designs, made from around 1967-1970. I've never seen any specific info as to what wood was used for these guitars. They are very well made guitars considering they originally made as entry level instruments. You did very good on the price. Paying $300 -$350 would not be unusal for one in such beautiful condition. Very nice! :D
Spud1950

by jtricer1973 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply Spud1950. Its really a nice guitar and I just can't stand not to know basic info about it but like you said, I probably never will know a lot about it.
jtricer1973

by VintAxe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Hey jtricer1973, nice guitar at a nice price. I don't know if you are aware but the headstock shape on your instrument was nicked from the Eko company in Italy. Before the copy era, Japanese builders were always combining design elements "inspired" by other companies.

Look here to see what I mean:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by jtricer1973 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean about the head stock. Any idea of the approx year my guitar was made? I figured late 60's to early 70's but would really like to get a little closer. Thanks for the replies guys.
jtricer1973

by VintAxe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm confident it is late 1960's jtricer1973. I don't think that style of pickup made it into the 70's.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jtricer1973 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks VintAxe. That's probably about as close as I'll ever get to knowing and I guess that's fine. Nice guitar though. I'm gonna do a few upgrades to it and then enjoy it.

1) Gonna put a Bigsby on it
2) Sperzel Locking tuners
3) See if I can find some better pups for it

I won't be doing anything destructive to it though.
jtricer1973

by chkneater » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I must confess my jealousy, that is a sick guitar, specially for the price. It looks like a Bigsby would work, which makes me more jealous, then I notice you have probably one of the only Jap guitars without a zero fret and you have adjustable saddles!! If jealousy were the Force, I'd be that evil emperor guy Darth Vader killed.
chkneater

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts