[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What kind of Japan bass is this, Ibanez?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What kind of Japan bass is this, Ibanez?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bigticket_it » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:25 am

bigticket_it

by VintAxe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi bigticket_it.

This is certainly an unusual bass, I've never seen one like it. It will require more research than I have time for tonight but I will give you some of my initial impressions.

I think it was made between 1967-70 but if I were to pick a date I would say 1968. It has a tuner configuration similar to a 1967 Teisco bass. I don't think this bass was made by Teisco so the design was likely "borrowed" from the 1967 Teisco style. The tuners are also circa 1968. The body style also has a 1968 design sense. Here is a picture of a Kawai Concert that has characteristics similar to your bass, a "violin" body style and a german carve around the edge.

Your bass also has some features that suggest a little later date. I'm not positive when the "Steel Reinforced Neck" neckplate began being used, but most late 60's neckplates were blank. If someone knows about the earliest appearance of this neckplate please chime in.

Your bass also appears to have a 3 piece neck, that is the neck is made from 3 pieces of wood glued together. Is this true?

So we have a reasonable date range, I guess your next question is who made it. The 68-70 period in Japanese guitar building is one of the hardest for determining builders. Certainly, the steel reinforced neckplate and the 3 piece neck have been associated with Matsumoku and Fujigen but is not exclusive to either. We may never know who actually made it.

I don't know about prices in Italy, but I think in the US there would be quite a bit of interest in this bass because it is so unusual. If you put it on US eBay, it think it would bring a minimum of $500. If you attracted two bidders that really wanted it I could see the price as high as $800.

I'll try to do more investigation when I get some time. In the meantime, can anybody help :?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by bigticket_it » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

Dear VintAxe
Thanks a lot for the answer(sorry for my bad english)
I opend another forum here in Italy regarding this bass and someone told me that it can be similar at this IBANEZ 5902 from 1954

http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/strument ... e/16338412

another guy told me that it can be an IBANEZ made in late 1960 who copied an Burns "Bison" Bass like this:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 1651_n.jpg

another guy told me that is an IBANEZ beacuse the plate :reinforced neck,made in japan and the pick up is the same of this bass:

http://forum.ibanez.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=76131
bigticket_it

by VintAxe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 am

Good work bigticket_it.

All three of the instruments resemble your bass and help narrow the field. The only misinformation I see is that the Ibanez 5902 is not from 1954, it is from 1964 which may just be a typo.

Based on the pickups, headstock profile and neck construction your bass is probably earlier than I first guessed. Now it seems 1965-68 is a more accurate estimate.

It now looks like your bass could have been distributed by Ibanez/Hoshino. However, Ibanez just distributed instruments, they did not build instruments. So, we still can't be sure at the moment who actually built your bass. However, knowing that it was likely distributed by Ibanez should be all you need to know to market the bass if you decide to sell it.

Thanks for sharing the results of your research with the Forum :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts