[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Do you know what this is?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Do you know what this is?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by JasonRoth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:34 pm

So I was recently given a guitar by a friend and I have absolutely no information about it, other then it was made in Japan. It looks to be some sort of a Tele-Clone, but it doesn't even have a name on the headstock to go by. After reading other responses, I really hope the knowledgeable people here at Vintaxe can help!

(I apologize in advance for the pictures, I was excited and using my iPhone)

(This is what is stamped on the three way switch)
JasonRoth

by Spud1950 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Cool guitar,although I would hardly call it a Tele clone. It was made mid around the mid 1960's by Matsumoku, a factory that manufactured guitars for many different brands,such as Aria, Univox,Vantage Epiphone and others. Here's an old thread of mine about a mystery guitar that I have since learned is definately Matsumoku made,which is basically the same except for the body shape.

Last edited by Spud1950 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spud1950

by JasonRoth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I just read your post, most informative.

The bodies, right down to the headstocks, look identical, just yours is in much better shape then mine.

Slight differences in hardware, but that's neither here nor there- The real question is: Is this guitar worth restoring?
JasonRoth

by Spud1950 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh,ok.I couldn't make out the shape of the bottom of your body from your picture.Thought it looked different.Wish it was,but that's not my guitar. Just saw it on the net and was wondering what it was. The hardware is exactly the same. I assume your refering to the bridge.The one in the pictures I posted is missing the trem cover which yours still has. Same exact guitar. It's definately worth fixing up,but don't worry about getting it looking like brand new.It just doesn't have a value that would justify the cost of a full restoration. Just clean it up as best as possible, get everthing working right as needed, set it up for good playability and enjoy it. Those are rather rare and that space age body is ultra cool!
Spud1950

by JasonRoth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:34 pm

I'll have to do that... I need to get the electronics all back in order, and new strings, and we'll see how she plays.
JasonRoth

by rcx » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:11 pm

I recently had the opportunity to set up a freinds guitar identical to these 2 of yours'. One subtle difference is, my freinds has the offset 12th fret markers like some other UNIVOX unknown model with the same tremlo and split up pick guard. The owner says it was purchased in 1969. Through my search for info I have concluded that this guitar is a rendition of a GUILD S-200 (Thunderbird) with the 6 inline headstock of a 1963 or 1964 GUILD S-100 (Polara).

My first match for this was doing a search on The GOOGLE images for "univox bizarre guitar" and I found the post by SPUD1950 on the second page of images that in turn led me to this forum.

I am leaning in the Matsumoku direction with this as well but still searching for some solid evidence. I have some pics of the heel of the neck and under the pickguard with some japanese calligraphy markings mixed in with some numbers that problably would give positive identification if someone knew how to read it.

If your on facebook here is a link to photos
rcx

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts