[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Crestline Guitar?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Crestline Guitar?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mb848 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum! I have just purchased an obscure Crestline guitar, and am having great difficulty finding info on this brand on the web. I know they made copies of the popular styles of the day (LP, SG, Strat, Tele, etc.) in the 70's, but the guitar I purchased isn't like one of these. It has a set neck and looks a little bit like a Gretsch Beast 5000 (Dark wood with a blond stripe down the middle. It's got zebra pickups and a string through body design. Any ideas on this one??
mb848

by mb848 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:41 pm

On second thought, it doesn't really look like the Gretsch, although I think the finish is similar. Here are some pics.

mb848

by jedistar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:12 am

jedistar

by mb848 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:35 pm

What a great forum. I was just reading some other threads in the japanese guitar section, and a link brought me to another forum that gave me some information. This guitar is a BC Rich "Eagle" model copy. No other info, but at least now I know what it is a copy of...
mb848

by VintAxe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Hey mb848,

I think I can add a bit more to what you know about your guitar. It is indeed a B.C. Rich Eagle copy and it was made by Hondo in 1981. Your guitar is pictured in the 1981 Hondo Deluxe catalog I have uploaded in the Electric Guitar Catalog section of the site. Given it was made by Hondo and badged Crestline, we know it was made in Korea and distributed in the U.S. by Grossman Music. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mb848 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks VintAxe for the information. I knew that once I found this site that it wouldn't take long to ID my guitar. One question, though. I did some quick web research on Hondo, and a few websites claim that instrument production was in Japan from 1974-1983, and then shifted to Korea. If that is accurate do you think my '81 was made in Japan and not Korea?
mb848

by VintAxe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:00 pm

Hey mb848,

It's possible. The majority of Hondo guitar production was always in Korea but there was limited production in Japan between 1974-83. I'm pretty sure the Longhorn copies you can see in the 1981 "Professional" catalog were produced in Japan. It is also very possible the Eagle was made in Japan as well.

I'm not sure how to distinguish between Korean and Japanese Hondos, does anyone know? A post from a knowledgeable Hondo aficionado would be much appreciated. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jedistar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:08 am

This Hondo has a similar neck through style construction...says made in japan 1980s

http://wietsesguitars.nl/page27.html
jedistar

by mb848 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:11 am

Thanks Jedistar. You're right, it does look very similar to the Crestline. I just bought the guitar off of Ebay and was attracted to its great look and seemingly solid construction. I haven't even seen it in person yet. I paid $140.00, which I'm hoping was a good deal. As soon as I get it (according to UPS on Monday) I'll inspect it much closer and provide an update!
mb848

by mb848 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:40 am

I now have the Hondo/Crestline guitar in hand, and have been able to look at it more closely. Doesn't help much, though, as I can find no identifying marks on this thing at all! There is no serial number, or a "Made In...." anywhere. The pickups sound great, but there are no markings on them either. It is a quality guitar....very solid, set neck, brass nut, decent tuners. I was hoping to get more info from it though. Still, I think it was a good deal at $140.
mb848

by jedistar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:01 am

? if it is from Asia this may not work but you could try looking at the pot codes..see top of this page:

http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar%20amp%20dating.htm
jedistar

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts