[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - I need some directions

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

I need some directions

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Sir Punk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:39 pm

I've been on the hunt for a LP MIJ for quite some time, I opened a big thread on HC and was directed here. I've been reading quite a bit but I am still soooo confused about all these brands. From what I understand greco, tokai and the top of the line burny's could be somehow comparable as far as quality and sound. But maybe I am wrong. So far I had a chance to try only one MIJ that was on sale on craigslist but I couldn't tell ya what brand was it because the headstock was covered with a gibson sticker. I've been trying gibson's, epi's and ibanez at guitar center to get some ideas.

I've been only a Strat guy so far so I have lil experience with LP. By now I know I want a smaller neck, I think it's called 60's and as far as pick ups, I prefer a brighter and warmer sound to a darker sound. My budget is under $800, hoping I can scoop up a deal locally or eventually just pull the trigger online, maybe trying to avoid e-bay.

what guitar fits my description or are there any good threads to read to get general idea of the differences between PUPs and different brands/models?

thanks a lot and I look forward to be part of this forum
Sir Punk

by VintAxe » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:20 am

Hi Sir Punk,

I think the guy at Orange Guitar does a good job of providing an overview of MIJ copy guitars. In his opinion, Burny, Orville, Tokai and Greco are the best brands. He discusses the companies in general, but also gives enough specifics concerning models, pickups, etc to help guide a purchase.

Take a look here:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Sir Punk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:48 am

I read their guide. It is a decent introduction but I feel it might be kinda biased. Their prices are so out there.

But they had decent infos on the pups.

It seems that orville had the slimmest necks, and that tokai wasn't the best.
Sir Punk

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts