[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - JB Player info

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

JB Player info

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by daan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 pm

So, on to the bass. It's a P-bass copy with a Jazz bridge pup (obviously) THey are both Select by EMG pups and this bass sounds amazing! I've taken it to stores to A/B it against other basses and nothing else sounds (or plays) nearly as nice. I keep meaning to take it apart to "fix" it (the guardplate is broken around the output jack, it has "mini pots" and the switch doesn't always work)but it just plays so nice I'm afraid I'll wreck it. Or it'll just be down for 3-5 years like all my other projects.

THe neck joint on this is great, it's basically not there.

So, I have a Gotoh 201 bridge, a Switchcraft switch and jack and a set of CTS pots (and a black and red laminated guardplate) sitting at home for this but I just don't want to stop playing this long enough to put those on here. Excellent, excellent bass so if you see one, GRAB IT.
daan

by Hardrock69 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Congrats you guys.

Far as I know, the neck-thru body Strats only come in Red, Black, or White.

Since my previous post, I have accumulated more.

About 3 months ago, I found a black neck-thru Strat on eBay. The bid at the time was only 25 bucks.

Why? Because it had no bridge.

Of course, we know why this is...the original bridge was most likely BROKEN, lol.

Anyway, I put in a few bids....lo and behold I got it for 40 bucks! Plus about 35 for shipping.
It is in remarkable condition other than the missing bridge.

Just a few days later, I was perusing craigslist, and to my surprise I found a neck-thru bass, just like the one above, on sale for 100 bucks! I met the guy, who is a bassist for an up and coming major-label country musician (can't recall the name right now). He bought it in a pawnshop in Indiana for $175 a few years back, and meant to refurbish it, but he says he has 35 basses and just decided to unload it.

The hardware has a coating of rust on it, and the input jack is broken, so my intent is to replace all the hardware and electronics.

Then, just last week, I found another red Strat on eBay. Buy It Now price of 100 bucks. I snatched it up. Dude had already replaced the bridge, but it looks to me as if it is a chrome version of the original black one.....meaning cheap POS.

The chrome plating looks like it is about ready to flake off in some places.

I just tuned it up last night, and will see how it sounds this evening. It plays great. Only thing wrong with it was the locking nut pieces are gone, and the guy replaced the original black pickguard with a white pickguard from a Squier Strat.

Looks kind of cool.

I have decided that in the future though, I am only going to buy black or white ones if I find them for sale. Those are the colors I prefer for my axes. So eventually I will sell the two red ones. This makes 4 Strats and one bass I have now.

Great way to build a quality guitar collection for cheap! :mrgreen:
Hardrock69

by daan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Was the black Ebay neckthru from a store in Minnesota? THere was one fitting the same description for sale at a store an hour or so from where I live that got sold (for less than $100 I was told) before I could drive over to get it. :? I mean, how many stripped black JBPs can there be in the Midwest, anyway?
daan

by Hardrock69 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey Daan,

Excuse me for taking a year to reply to this, lol.

Burnsville, Minnesota.

Ring any bells?

I have not even touched it yet. I think I want to refurbish the bass first. I am having a some dings fixed on that last red one I got.
Paint touch up and stuff. I have had other things I have had to spend my money on, so I have not gotten around to these guitars yet. Still on my to-do list though.

I hang out at so many places on the net. So many websites, so little time, lol.

I will try to check back in here more often.

:-)
Hardrock69

by daan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:42 pm

image.jpg
Yep, it was the "Music-Go-Round" in Burnsville! I wanted to save the shipping costs by just going there, and probably spent the same amount on gas driving there and back (I actually live in Wisconsin) it's OK because I really don't need more projects though. I tore my neck-thru apart again to recess the bridge plate properly instead of just grinding screws down to get it to intonate. I also haven't touched the bass (other than to play it, I mean!) I really wanted one of those Epiphone Thunderbird Pro's (really accurate reissue of the classic reverse T-bird, but at a price I could justify) I took the JBP with to A/B against the Epi, and honestly the JBP still sounded and played better. It was lighter, too. Oh, i did put new pickups into my bolt-neck JBP (GFS Brassbottom Strat pups, they sound nicer than the hodge-podge pups I had in there before)
daan

by Hardrock69 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:07 am

Right on.

These Epiphones are such high-quality instruments.

I saved up enough discarded scratch off lottery tickets I was able to trade them in to the Tennessee state lottery for an Epiphone Les Paul Pro with a Plus Top (flamed maple veneer).

I was planning on selling the guitar and keeping the case, as I already have an Epi Les Paul Studio.

But when I got the thing I found it was a carbon copy of a '59 Les Paul Standard, and it was so nice I had to keep it.

I also have an Epi Korean-made Korina V from 1998, and I used to also have a Korean made Epi Korina Explorer.

They are fantastic guitars.
Hardrock69

by Hardrock69 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:08 am

Oh, and sorry for making you waste some gas, lol.

Small world, eh? :mrgreen:
Hardrock69

by daan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Well now I did it, I bought ANOTHER JBP. THis time it's a Tele-style. Or, I just got it, but The Boss hasn't seen the $ come out of the account yet... Ass-whoopin' in 5...4...3... :D
Well that stinks, work just blocked Photobucket, so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to post up the pix. So now I have a P-bass, a neck-thru Strat, a Tele (it's a bolt-neck model) and the neck from a bolt-on Strat. I SWEAR I saw a neck-thru Tele at one point so it's possible I'll run into one of those someday, but we'll see.

And yeah, it IS a small world. If you ever want to unload those red JBP's, drop me a line at dan nork (all one word) at gee-mail dot com (I see that more often than this website.
daan

by daan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 am

Holy moly is this thing DIRTY. I used our high-strength anhydrous alcohol to try and get some of the funk off it and it's still coming off... It's like it got used daily for 10 years, and then sat in a corner until last week... ick. But yeah, it's got a broken tremolo and hot ceramic pickups (HSS, 5-way switch, vol/tone/coil tap) so full-on 80's machine!
daan

by Hardrock69 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Hey Daan...check your email man..... :mrgreen:
Hardrock69

by marianopirro » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi, this is my old JB Player modified with Rio Grande pickups, volume pot DiMarzio, tones pot Alpha, jack Swithcraft, PIO rusian capacitor 0.047uF, english bridge and Wilkinson lock tuners. Enjoy it!
If you need more information send me an email at pirrico@outlook.com byeeee
marianopirro

by daan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:38 pm

THat looks nice! I was wondering what mine would look like with the finish off... Did you strip it, or did you get it that way? How heavy is it? My first JBP didn't seem heavy at all (I also had a Les Paul copy that was twice as heavy as my JBP) the blue-burst JBP was almost 2 pounds heavier than the Mexican Strat I had at the same time. I bet these were made of Ash, some pieces of which can be a LOT heavier than others...
Good job on the bridge replacement, too. That's real classy looking with the gold hardware. Enjoy!
daan

by Hardrock69 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Someone is selling a red neck-thru strat on ebay with no hardware:

Buy it now for $125.

Ugh....some idiot filled in the bridge cavity.

So if anyone wants a hardtail neck-thru, this is it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-JB-Player-n ... 35e448314a
Hardrock69

by Hardrock69 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Here is another one in a pawnshop in Eastern TN...posted 3 days ago...asking $125:

http://tricities.craigslist.org/msg/4921576484.html
Hardrock69

by Hardrock69 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Here is one on Craigslist....missing one of the locking nuts...dude wants 100 bucks.

Red, in Milford, NJ

http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/5091391394.html
Hardrock69

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts