[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - JB Player info

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

JB Player info

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by daan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:12 am

From my understanding, they were all made in Korea, by the same guys who made "Cort" guitars. ("Westheimer") That isn't a bad thing, they made/still make nice guitars. I don't know of anywhere you could decode your serial #, none of the 3 JBP's Ive had had serials on them anywhere. THis website is also the only place I've seen any info about them, other than just looking at Ebay constantly so if someone knows how to decode the #'s, they aren't on the web.
Oh yeah the wacky tremolo is definitely the only bad part of these guitars, I actually took my bolt-on one apart to see if I could replace the tremolo with something else. THey're top-mounts at least so theoretically they could be replaced or you could route some more wood out to put a "real" Floyd Rose if you wanna keep the arm.
daan

by Bassassin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by pasterkeith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 pm

pasterkeith

by tays » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 am

I kinda have the same problem but i cant find any info on my jbp artist. i bought it 2nd hand a few years back it almost seems to have its own shape but if i had to compare it to anything it would be a Fender Jazzmaster. i know this topic is old but iam hoping someone can give me some info about it.
tays

by VintAxe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Hey tays.

The JPB Artist series is featured in my 1996 J.B. Player catalog but I don't see a model that resembles a Jazzmaster. The shapes I see are mostly Tele and Strat.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by tays » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah thats the problem i have had looking for one that is the same shape. they are all strat and tele styles. this one isnt really a jazzmaster copy. i think it is more of a original shape. here is a link of a pic of the guitar. let me know what you think!!

tays

by VintAxe » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Well tays,

I think you are right that the body shape is original but certainly inspired by a Jazzmaster. The headstock shape on your guitar is similar to what appears to be a 6 string bass illustrated on the cover of my 1996 J.B. Player catalog.

You can see a thumbnail of the cover here:

http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_ ... player_001

Since changes in bass models tends to lag behind changes in guitar models, I'm thinking your guitar might be Pre 1996, but probably not by much.

I likely have more J.B. Player literature that has not been uploaded. If I find anything else about your guitar I'll let you know in this thread.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Bassassin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Hmm. Not sure how much a Jazzmaster had to do with that - it's pretty much an Ibanez Talman knock-off:

http://es.wikizic.org/1-035-035212-Iban ... -TC630.jpg

If it's mid 90s, as Vintaxe's catalogue suggests, that's pretty much when the Talmans were launched. Most Talmans were Korean-made, so one can't help wondering if the same factory made sneaky off-brands like this, with a few details changed.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by guitarguy224 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 am

i know this ad is a bit old..but i have a jb player guitar that i am trying to sell.. i dont know what it is worth though and i would like to learn more about the guitar.. it has emg select pickups, a original floyd rose tremolo, and it also has a built in wireless system..some pics can be found on my craigslist ad.. http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/2174067310.html

can anyone help? thanks
guitarguy224

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:34 am

Hi guitarguy224.

It's really hard to tell much from your pictures.

Your guitar is part of the PGW series built in the late 1980's. PGW referred to the built in wireless system and the guitars were basically "strat style" in various configurations. Some were bolt neck and others neck thru and they were available in 17 different colors and a variety of pickup configurations. It appears three single coils was a standard configuration but HSS was also available. Yours has a "crack" finish but I can't tell from the photos the exact color. The body is made from Pacific Coast (soft) maple and the neck is made from Northern Michigan maple.

Your $500 asking price looks pretty optimistic to me, good luck with the sale.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarguy224 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:52 am

yes mine is the 'crackle' finish it is blue with a pink crack. how much do u think it is worth?
guitarguy224

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 pm

I really have no objective information to offer in terms of value, so anything I say is just my opinion.

I think the built in wireless system is now a liability for the guitar. You don't mention whether you still have the receiver, but even if you do, we are talking 20 year old technology here. Wireless systems have come a long way since then. So now you have an instrument with unnecessary electronics for playing wired, just seems like more to go wrong.

There will likely come a day in the not to distant future that the crackle finish will be seen as cool and iconic of the 80's, but I don't think the majority of guitar players are there yet. Hopefully, you find the guy that is there.

I don't see a $500 asking price as outrageous, but I would be shocked if you get it. My hunch is that you'll get offers between $300-$400. If you have the neck thru version it will likely bring better offers than that. In the end, it is up to you to decide what you have invested and how badly you want to sell it.

Let us know how it turns out, I'd love to be wrong. :wink:
Last edited by VintAxe on Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarguy224 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 pm

i actually still have the reciever, and everything works great. i use it more than my line 6 wireless system simply because i dont need a battery pack. but i love this guitar. the only reason i am selling it is because i want a new one. lol
guitarguy224

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Sounds good, I think I would include that information in the craigslist ad.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarguy224 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:20 pm

okay cool. thanks for the help!
guitarguy224

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts