[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - ebay bargain, or hunk of junk? What's this guitar???

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

ebay bargain, or hunk of junk? What's this guitar???

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by edbol » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:52 am

Hi,

I was wasting time searching through ebay and found a guitar, apparently a rare japanese guitar, less than 5 miles from me. I Bought it for £21. I'm collecting it tonight.

I have no idea what it is, he says there are no logos or labels. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0296783976

Can anyone help ID her?

Thanks

Ed
edbol

by simonm » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:43 pm

it's kind of odd-looking, but cool I think, especially for £21!
Haven't seen one like it. Not many cheaper guitars with a wraparound bridge/tail like that. I suspect that the neck isn't original, but that's ok as long as the scale length is the same - most Fender type guitars have a slightly longer scale length than Gibson-types.
simonm

by edbol » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply

I picked it up this evening, its a bit battered! The action was totally out, and I noticed something between the body and the neck. When setting up my Fender P Bass that I use all the time, I addeded a small peice of paper, as a spacer between the neck and the body. I unscrewed the neck, they had used a playing card folded twice! So 4 times thick! My girlfriend and I had a good laugh guessing what card it would be, and sure enough it was the Joker!

The neck has other screw holes so is from another guitar entirely, so I'm guessing it would have had a more Les Paul style head.

I put it back together with no joker and pluged it into an amp, everything worked fine! and it seemed to have a really great tone.

It is now it bits, and nowhere does it have a single mark, number, or logo.

The chap who sold it to me said he was in a band in the late 70's (when he was at school) and he doesn't remember where it came from. I played a quick riff on one string, he said that was the first tune it had played in 20 years! Which is kind of cool!

If you are interested I'll put some pics up?
edbol

by Bassassin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:04 am

That's quite clearly a Les Paul copy (well, sorta) with the neck from something else altogether. Does it intonate properly? I wouldn't be surprised if the scale of the neck donor wasn't significantly different.

Unless you're lucky I think your best bet for making it a player would be to scour Fleabay for a Les Paul copy neck.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by edbol » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:39 am

Intonation was correct. I have a SG copy, took the neck off it, and it wouldn't fit! The scale was different too.

The pickups on the Jap thing sounded really nice, so I've put them on the SG copy which previously sounded terrible. The frets on the Jap neck were totally worn out, but the SG has a new lease of life! and plays like a Gibson!

...so from it I have a nice guitar and lot of parts, so not bad really!
edbol

by RuppMusic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm

Cool guitar.

If the 12th fret is midpoint between the nut and bridge it's a fit. Although it's a fenderish neck that does not tell what scale it is. Plus bridges can be changed or altered I suppose.

I agree it would look better with a different neck, but hey I play Hagstroms which have fender necks on a SG looking body
RuppMusic.com - House of Fine and Vintage Guitars
RuppMusic

by MErlenmeyer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Mark Erlenmeyer
"The Jedson guy"
MErlenmeyer

by sarah_9 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 am

Hello,

Hey friend i also purchased an Asian guitar from , and it is working well, you can ask them for certificate authorization, for your satisfaction.

Regards,
sarah_9
sarah_9

by Big Beat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Big Beat

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts