[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Teisco hollowbody identification!?!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Teisco hollowbody identification!?!

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Rockwildr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 am

Hello all,
Im new to this forum, but im hoping someone can help me determine the model i have. Its a Teisco Del Ray 12string hollowbody. No model number identification on the serial plate. It doesnt quite look like the ones i regularly see like the EP8t's and such. Here are some pics, hope this helps. the head stock seems to date it to around 1966-1970, but i cant tell forsure because of all the mutant overlaps in the Teisco family tree.
It looks much like an EP-2T but the head stock, controls, tailpiece are different.

[/img]
Rockwildr

by VintAxe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Hey Rockwildr.

I've never been able to figure out much on these pointy bout Teisco hollowbodies. I think they are from the early 1970's but since I have very little 70's Teisco literature, I can't pin them down.

The closest image I have of your guitar comes from a 1970 Alden's catalog. As you can see, the headstock, body and badge look similar to your guitar. It's hard to tell about the hardware and pups but they may be similar as well.

This body style also appears in the 1973 Alden catalog, but by then they had changed the headstock to a mutant Fenderish style.

So my best guess for date would be 1970-72. As far as model, who knows. I think I have a 12 string similar to yours, but mine is in the junk pile. They didn't build mine strong enough to withstand the 12 string tension at the neck joint. Let me know if you need parts and I'll dig in the junk pile and see what it is.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Rockwildr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm

i found some pics of a Teisco EP-2T, has the same inlays on the fretboard and everything. But i found no info regarding the 12 string aspect. I am missing two of the four screws holding the bridge. or even a new bridge could be in order. im goona bring it to my luthier and see what he says.
Cheers!@
Rockwildr

by Jimmy_noise » Sat May 05, 2012 9:05 pm

This is an EP-212. It’s very rare the numbers didn’t stamp fully, but has been documented on a few occasions.

I found this and thought that I would share it;

The EP-212 was the first of only three 12 string guitars made by the Teisco. The other two models were the EP-12T and the vibratwin.

The guitar has some interesting aspects in regards to Teisco history. This model introduced a brunch of new deign features for Teisco guitars.

The body was a new design for Teisco. This model was the first guitar that featured the horned 335 shape. The shape looks like a hollwbody version of a SG guitar. This design was used on the, EP-2T, EP- 9T, EP-93T and the EP-100T and a few others. All these model post date the EP-212.

The headstock is the only Teisco guitar to feature the 6 x 6 headstock with all the tuners mounted at the rear. The EP-12T and Vibratwin had a vey different headstock.

The neck is also of significant interest. The rectangular / diamond shape inlays were only used on two guitars. The other model was the EP-9T which is a six string version of the EP-212. The inlays give the guitar a slightly fancier look compared to other models.

The control knobs were mounted directly on the body, which was not common on mid 60’s Teiscos. Early Teisco hollow bodies with set necks had the knobs placed on the body, but this stopped some time before 1963. Usually hollowbodies have a control plate during this era. The control plate enabled faster manufacturing by not having to place the wiring into the guitar via the pickup holes and having to pull the knobs into the small holes. This only occurs on a few other hollowbodies in the mid to late 60’s.

The placement of the pickup selector switch is another change in the normal practices during the mid 60’s. Post 1965 the pickup selector on all Teisco’s is located on the lower side of the guitar, with only a few exceptions. These include models like the EP-9t, EV-52T and the P-22. All of there guitars and the EP-212, used the 3 way switch instead of toggle or rotary switches, that are more common on Teiscos.

The EP-212 was available in Greenburst, Sunburst and Red. It is not yet confirmed but this currently is the fist model that was available in the green burst finish. At this time I am unaware of any other manufacturer using a green burst finish and could be another pioneering step for Teisco.

Based on current records the guitar was manufactured four times at the factory. Approximate manufacturing dates are between September 1966 and November 1966 for the four production runs. Quantities manufactured are still not yet validated and an estimate is not available at this time. The EP-212 falls into the era of WMI Corporation, when WMI directly imported guitars into the USA from Japan. These were distributed directly to stores, bypassing any musical distributor. Because of this the model is unlikely to appear in any catalogue.

The guitar was only available with the Teisco Del Rey crown logo with the white background. The guitar appears to be a Japan export model and was only available for sale in the USA. They would have most likely hit the US market in early 1967.

Hope this helps.
Ta
Jimmy Noise
Jimmy_noise

by Jimmy_noise » Sat May 05, 2012 9:05 pm

This is an EP-212. It’s very rare the numbers didn’t stamp fully, but has been documented on a few occasions.

I found this and thought that I would share it;

The EP-212 was the first of only three 12 string guitars made by the Teisco. The other two models were the EP-12T and the vibratwin.

The guitar has some interesting aspects in regards to Teisco history. This model introduced a brunch of new deign features for Teisco guitars.

The body was a new design for Teisco. This model was the first guitar that featured the horned 335 shape. The shape looks like a hollwbody version of a SG guitar. This design was used on the, EP-2T, EP- 9T, EP-93T and the EP-100T and a few others. All these model post date the EP-212.

The headstock is the only Teisco guitar to feature the 6 x 6 headstock with all the tuners mounted at the rear. The EP-12T and Vibratwin had a vey different headstock.

The neck is also of significant interest. The rectangular / diamond shape inlays were only used on two guitars. The other model was the EP-9T which is a six string version of the EP-212. The inlays give the guitar a slightly fancier look compared to other models.

The control knobs were mounted directly on the body, which was not common on mid 60’s Teiscos. Early Teisco hollow bodies with set necks had the knobs placed on the body, but this stopped some time before 1963. Usually hollowbodies have a control plate during this era. The control plate enabled faster manufacturing by not having to place the wiring into the guitar via the pickup holes and having to pull the knobs into the small holes. This only occurs on a few other hollowbodies in the mid to late 60’s.

The placement of the pickup selector switch is another change in the normal practices during the mid 60’s. Post 1965 the pickup selector on all Teisco’s is located on the lower side of the guitar, with only a few exceptions. These include models like the EP-9t, EV-52T and the P-22. All of there guitars and the EP-212, used the 3 way switch instead of toggle or rotary switches, that are more common on Teiscos.

The EP-212 was available in Greenburst, Sunburst and Red. It is not yet confirmed but this currently is the fist model that was available in the green burst finish. At this time I am unaware of any other manufacturer using a green burst finish and could be another pioneering step for Teisco.

Based on current records the guitar was manufactured four times at the factory. Approximate manufacturing dates are between September 1966 and November 1966 for the four production runs. Quantities manufactured are still not yet validated and an estimate is not available at this time. The EP-212 falls into the era of WMI Corporation, when WMI directly imported guitars into the USA from Japan. These were distributed directly to stores, bypassing any musical distributor. Because of this the model is unlikely to appear in any catalogue.

The guitar was only available with the Teisco Del Rey crown logo with the white background. The guitar appears to be a Japan export model and was only available for sale in the USA. They would have most likely hit the US market in early 1967.

Hope this helps.
Ta
Jimmy Noise
Jimmy_noise

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts