[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Teisco Spectrum 2 information?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Teisco Spectrum 2 information?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by tspec2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi All,

First post here, I have a question about a guitar I picked up today. I'm hoping I can get the pictures to work. It's a Teisco Spectrum 2, but I've had trouble finding another spectrum 2 that looks like this one. Does anyone have any information on this guitar? I'm hoping I didn't get hosed, I didn't pay a whole lot, but I'd like to think I got a decent deal. Let me know if the pics don't work, I'll try posting them from somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for any information.

tspec2

by VintAxe » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Hey tspec2.

From what I can see, your Spec 2 looks 100% original to me. I've got a Spec 3 from 1967-68 and everything is the same as yours except for the additional pup. You can't really see the pups very well in my picture, but they match yours.

Here's mine:

Looks to me like you picked up a very desirable guitar in excellent condition.

Well done :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by tspec2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! The only pics of Spectrum 2's that I'd seen were 1969 models, and they seem to be quite different. I'm happy to know mine hasn't been hacked up. I'm not a collector, but figured for $40, I couldn't go wrong with this axe. I even got to test it out inside the church I bought it from! :lol:

Thanks again,

TJ
tspec2

by VintAxe » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:01 pm

TJ, you need to go back to the church you bought the guitar from and put something generous in the collection plate.

That guitar is worth $600-$800 on a bad day.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by tspec2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Holy Mackerel....I uhm...wow. I'm at a loss for words here, haha. I had figured it might be worth $150-200, I NEVER expected $600-$800. I'm just blown away. I'll be sure to handle it more delicately now, but I'm still going to play it. Thanks so much for your reply.
tspec2

by Spud1950 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Damn,I'm jealous! :evil: What a beautiful Spectrum and only $40. Why doesn't that ever happen to me? :cry: Seriously,congratulations on a most excellent score. :)
Spud1950

by johnnyb » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:21 pm

johnnyb

by tspec2 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the kind replies guys. It does have a decent buckle mark on the back, nothing really substantial though. The only ding in the clear is up at the very top of the neck. I was planning on taking more pictures of it today, but I worked almost 15 hours, and now I've gotta go to bed....lol I'm going to order a tremolo spring off of ebay, it'll need that. Other than that, it's going to get a good cleaning, and that's about it. There's no noise in the switches or pots, which shocked me. Even my old mexi-strat had pot noise.
tspec2

by kwebb » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:53 pm

I have one just like this one but it has a K on the headstock. Anyone know what that means?
kwebb

by tspec2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:09 pm

I am the furthest thing from an expert on these things. I would suspect the "K" on your headstock could stand for the Kay company. I'd sure love to see pictures of your guitar!
tspec2

by Spud1950 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:45 pm

The Kay brand is correct. In the late 1960s, Kay USA was sold a couple of times, the last time being to Valco, who sold it off in 1968. The Kay brand name was bought by a company which imported and distributed Kay branded guitars made by various Japanese manufacturers, including Teisco. Here's an example of another Teisco/Kawai made Kay model.

Spud1950

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts