[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - new/old Hondo II lots of pics

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

new/old Hondo II lots of pics

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Bassassin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Pisces - I can't quite tell from the pic, does the sticker on the back of the neck say Made In Japan or Made In Korea? I had a very similarly-built Hondo Les Paul copy and have wondered about its origin for ages.

Quite surprised to find that this is as early as 1975 - I didn't know Hondo were producing good-quality original instruments that early.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by PISCES19 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:42 am

Hello Jon, the sticker on the back does say made in Korea. I can't be too sure of the date I purchased the guitar but i'm pretty sure it's around 1975 not much later if it is, don't think it was as late as 1977.
PISCES19

by lhpcope » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 am

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I picked up one of theses Hondo II guitars off ebay a few weeks ago.
[http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q487/lhpcope/IMG_2409.jpg] and [http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q487/lhpcope/IMG_2410.jpg].

The top is three piece, the body is two piece, and the neck is five piece. The body looks like ash to me.
[http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q487/lhpcope/IMG_2419.jpg] and [http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q487/lhpcope/IMG_2417.jpg]

which is not a bad thing at all.

The neck is straight and over all is a very good player. The pickups were both Diamarzio DP104s in their OEM form, the K model without adj screws. Unfortunately one of them was open so I put in another HB I had laying around.

My question is the headstock plastic is cracked and partially missing. [http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q487/lhpcope/IMG_2411.jpg]

Does anyone have an idea how to repair this without loosing the logo and flower pot?

Thanks, lhpcope[/url]
lhpcope

by wietse » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:05 pm

wietse

by lhpcope » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for making them visible! :D
lhpcope

by daan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 am

Wow haven't checked this post in a long while! I haven't finished my Hondo yet, I have the finish stripped off the back/sides/neck but not the top. I got way overambitious with mine-Hey, the binding's all cracked and missing in some spots, so let's re-bind it! OOps, nobody sells wbwbwbw binding like this... Hey, the headstock overlay peeled off, so let's redo that, too! Oops, the "gibson" flowerpot ones aren't the same size and the tuner holes don't line up... Hey, the top is 1mm veneer (in 5 non-matching pieces...) and my buddy has a vacuum bag setup to make CF parts in, let's get some nice veneer to re-do the top! Oops, he moved away and I don't know anyone else with veneering equipment... Duh. I'm sure I'll get it finished someday, especially since I have everything I need to finish it, just no time to do it in. I should have just gotten it playing and left it at that.
daan

by lhpcope » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Good Luck!!! Mine would seem to have its headstock covered with 0.3mm plastic, which I have found a source for. I just am not sure how to proceed on the repair. :?
lhpcope

by daan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Well the binding was coming off mine, so as I was picking the pieces off I noticed the overlay wasn't attatched real well. Also when I drilled out the tuner holes for the new tuners that took more of the overlay off, too. The rest came off no problem with a putty knife/scraper thing (real thin flexible steel paddle) A little heat helped loosen it, a hair dryer worked fine.
daan

by lhpcope » Wed May 09, 2012 7:12 am

How were you able to work around the flower pot inlay without disturbing it?
lhpcope

by daan » Wed May 09, 2012 7:51 am

Uh actually mine didn't have a flower pot on it.
It was already peeling, the binding was coming off and when I enlarged the tuner holes it took more of the overlay off too so I just took the rest of it off. I was gonna order a new overlay http://www.croxguitars.com/overlays.htm
but I realized (besides that this isn't a Gibson and I don't wanna make it look like one) that the headstock shape is different and the tuner holes are in different spots. I got some thin maple veneer and will just paint it black when it's done (50,000 years from now...)
daan

by daan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:32 pm

I cheated, since I haven't gotten any farther on this, I bought another one :P
THis one was in MUCH better shape, but it still needed new tuners and bridge.

I did get a new Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece for it, but unfortunately the bushings are just smaller enough that what this originally had, that they don't actually hold into the holes... THey're also too much smaller to wrap them in tape/copper shielding to make them fit. And the new parts won't screw into the old bushings... Back to the drawing board.
daan

Previous

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts