[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Guyatone LG-50H

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Guyatone LG-50H

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mike_C » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 am

Howdy Y'all,
Fairly rarely seen early Japanese offering (late 50's /early 60's ??). Absolutely wonderful playing and sounding instrument. Very large, yet comfortable, set, "V" neck. Very light guitar - <6lbs. Both pickups sound delicious. Another example of an instrument with a very unique voice - you don't thrash this guitar nor does it shine in high-gain settings. Did I mention I like this guitar? Set up for (fret-able) slide, .013 flatwounds. I suspect "H" designation refers to headstock shape which is slightly different than the LG-50's I've seen before. Incidentally, the neck pup on these guys is what Ryland C. has in the neck spot on his blue, bound neck, Strtatocaster.
Best,
Mike

More Pictures Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48732540@N ... 307145190/
mike_C

by Spud1950 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:30 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing this.What a great looking guitar and in such fine condition. How did you come across it?
Spud1950

by mike_C » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks man! I'd been on the hunt for one casually and, lo' and behold, came across guitar being auctioned at a small auction house in Michigan.
It' funny - tho' guitar is solid and feels great in the hands, soldering/wiring was a joke. Solder joints on pup leads were wrapped in scotch tape! I have no reason to think it didn't leave the factory that way.
Best Regards,
Mike
mike_C

by johnnyb » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm

i love these things. i would like to come across one myself. that small thick body shape is appealing. it looks like it may have been re-finished, especially the head stock. maybe not without a close look. i have an old tiesco pe7 with the same knobs. i believe it to be early 60's. but your guitar is a bit elusive. i dont think there is much info about them. love it, want it. sorry my pictures are huge.

johnnyb

by musical5 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 pm

Nice axe for sure.

Justin
musical5

by Spud1950 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:13 pm

I found one that sold on eBay. Same vintage,different model. Only one pickup, non original bridge and nowhere in as fine condition as yours, but someone was willing to pay $850 for it!

The Auction:
Spud1950

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Yeah Spud, looks like you found the Guyatone LG40.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by mike_C » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:49 pm

hey cats,

johnny - pretty certain it's not a re-fin ... post a pic of your teisco!

spud - i caught a glimpse of that auction while it was taking place. what beautiful guitar - love that maple. zero nut is interesting. dot markers instead of (very cheap, cracking) blocks on mine. the cutaway is also different on one you posted ... bridge assembly etc etc. i imagine it's an earlier example. notice headstocks on all three guitars ...

something tells me these guitars might be more easily found in the uk.

best,
mike
mike_C

by VintAxe » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 pm

I was thinking we had a discussion about these early Guyatones a couple of years ago. I turned up a photo of Johnny Guitar of Rory Storm and the Hurricanes dancing with one:

Go here if you want to check out the old thread:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Bob K » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Nice, MikeC!!

I started the thread Steve referred to. I love these Guyatones. Johnny Byrne, Hank Marvin, Brian Griffiths - how can you go wrong? :D

Here's a pic of the two I currently own:

Bob
Bob K

by mike_C » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 am

howdy all,

amazing bob! could you post some headstock pics?

in pm you mentioned maple veneer - what type of wood is underneath do we think?

if my memory serves - thin wood strip that's visible when looking at back of neck is also visible on body when pickguard is off. so is neck set or through-body?

did you find your guitars local or via web? funny that we're both in mass!

best regards,
m
mike_C

by Bob K » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:10 am

Bob K

by Johan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:23 am

I sure am glad to see this guitar, as i have a similar guitar. Its a Maestro LG50, and up to now i could not find any info regarding this particular model of guitar.

Any one out there with some more info on the subject, any info would be highly appreciated.
Johan

by Bob K » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:36 am

Johan,
In addition to the Guyatone LG-50, there was an Ibanez version with an EG-1580 model number, Star had an EG-80, the one on the left in my picture above is unbranded with an HG-80 model number (Antoria maybe?)

Can you please post a few pictures of your Maestro LG-50?

Bob
Bob K

by Bob K » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Johan sent me some pics of his SERIOUSLY cool Maestro LG-50.

Mike C - it's got same headstock as yours.

Bob
Bob K

Next

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts