[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Esquire Anyone heard or has info ?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Esquire Anyone heard or has info ?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mflack » Mon May 03, 2010 7:00 am

Hello

I just joined and would realy like any info on my guitar.

My dad bought this new for me in the mid '70s when I was a kid and have had it since.
I'm just getting back into it and thought I'd like some info on it but cant find anything on esquire.
Its made in Japan and it was bought in melbourne Aust and is in great cond and original hard case

any one with info ??Image Image Image Image Image

thanks
mflack

by mflack » Tue May 04, 2010 1:34 am

I did some searching on this site and it
looks abit like 1944 model could this be right ?

Last edited by mflack on Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mflack

by mflack » Tue May 04, 2010 5:42 am

or model 2354

I think we may have a winner 2354
mflack

by Spud1950 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 am

Good work! I agree,looks exactly the same as the Ibanez 2354. Can't find any info on who used the Esquire brand name, but the guitar was almost certainly made at the FujiGen guitar factory, who also produced the Ibanez branded guitars,as well as others.
Spud1950

by mflack » Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 am

mflack

by Bassassin » Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by mflack » Fri May 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Here's some pics

The body seems to be 2 ply type slads put together

mflack

by Bassassin » Sun May 09, 2010 1:59 pm

That's the "sandwich" construction I mentioned, very common on MIJ guitars of this era and in fact borrowed from Gibson, who built Les Pauls like this in the early 70s.

The wiring looks original & untouched - can you see if there are any numbers, words or logos on the pots, apart from the values? Sometimes there are factory date codes, which might give an idea of when the guitar was made.

J.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by mflack » Sat May 15, 2010 11:34 pm

mflack

by mflack » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:07 am

Just one thing I do remember "Esquire" only sold 2 guitars the SG and a great copy of the Les Paul when my Dad bought it so I'd say def an importers name brand for Aust at the time
mflack

by Kenji » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:48 am

Dear Mflack, I bought one of these SG Esquire guitars identical to yours about the same time from a guitar shop in Russell street melbourne around 1973, can't remember what I paid but I thought it the most beautiful guitar I could afford. Had the same tremolo arm, colour, case everything. Yours is the only other one I've seen since.
Unfortunately the beautiful appearance & finish was let done by poor pick ups that couldn't compete with other guitars & a 2nd string that couldn't clear some frets cleanly. I ended up changing the pick ups but couldn't do much about the 2nd string without affecting the overall action.
I still have the guitar & have the "Esquire" name plate loose in the original case. I've lost the tremolo arm & it's got a few nicks to the body but it's still a beautiful piece. Yours appears to be spotless.
I have an "Ibinez" SG as well & this is a bit longer & of equal quality of finish.
If your really keen I could post a photo but it would simply be the same as yours but in not as good condition.
Kenji

by mflack » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 am

mflack

by deleted » Sat May 21, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm very pleased to find this thread. I have one of these guitars too (my first guitar - received in 99). I've always wondered what its history was.

Mine is aesthetically quite beaten up, frets are worn very very low, and the "tremolo" piece has been removed, the holes shoddily filled in. I've always thought the neck was a bit too narrow - e string close to edge; but perhaps my bridge (gotoh tune-o-matic) is not original.

I can add that my pots have NICHION printed on them.

Image[/img]

And in addition my neckplate (perhaps not original) seems different - MADE IN JAPAN is printed at the opposite end to mflack's. The strap-knob is also different - installed on the neck itself.
deleted

by mflack » Wed May 25, 2011 1:22 am

Deleted

I noticed mine has chrome tuners

great to see there's some of the old girls still around. Haven't seen any of the LP copys at all
mflack

by moptop127 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi,

Glad to have discovered this thread and forum.

Was walking past a SOLD house in Balaclava, Victoria (Australia) and my eye went immediately to an SG shaped, very dirty but solid guitar. Esquire on the nameplate, Made in Japan on the rear neck plate (?)...

Will post pics ASAP as the pick guards seem slightly different again to the great pics you folk have posted here. It looks like only two remaining pots and two switches are present and the wiring is hanging loose, but I'm thinking I'd love to do this up. Anyway, will post pics in next day or so.

Cheers,

Moptop St Kilda East
moptop127

Next

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts