[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What is this? Teisco?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What is this? Teisco?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by agentkri » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi!

I recently bought this awesome electric guitar, made in Japan. It is still playable, and sounds very good, but it needs some repair work (pickups aren't wired up properly, neck needs some work). The guy who sold it told me it was a Teisco, but wasn't 100% sure. I don't have a clue about the model, haven't seen this one before on the internet...

Can anyone help me identify my new (old) guitar?

Here she is:

Uploaded with
agentkri

by VintAxe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Hey agentkri.

Your guitar was built by Kawai after they merged with Teisco in 1967. I generally refer to these instruments as Teisco/Kawai although yours has more Kawai elements than Teisco.

Here is a quick overview of the merger if you are interested:

Based on the pickups, slider switches and clamshell tremolo unit I would say it was built in the late 1960's.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Looks like a Kawai/Teisco merger model to me also, or as someone on another forum recently referred to them, a Kaweisco.
Spud1950

by agentkri » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks for the response, much appreciated!

Is there any model designation, or are there no official model numbers or names available for the Teisco/Kawai guitars of this era?

Another question: the pickups only transmit sounds in full volume when i touch them with my finger. When I touch the pickups, without playing, they produce a very loud buzzing sound. It seems like the guitar only work properly when my body forms a connection between the pups and strings. What could be the reason for this? Faulty wiring? Malfunctioning input jack?
agentkri

by mrblanche » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:21 am

Bad grounds, probably.

Start by checking the output jack to be sure that there are two wires attached to it, and that the output signal is going to the contact on the tip of the plug. Reversed wires there can lead to a weak signal with a lot of buzz.

Then be sure all the wires are properly connected to the volume and tone controls and the pickup selector switch. A missing ground in any step can cause a real problem.

And lastly, the strings should all be grounded through the bridge, which should have a ground wire to one of the grounds on the pots or selector switch.
mrblanche

by DeMontGuitars.com » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:15 pm

DeMontGuitars.com

by linutisp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:06 am

I have something similar in excellent condition.

linutisp

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts