[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Odd SG copy--Teisco? Kent?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Odd SG copy--Teisco? Kent?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by knigel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:09 am

Hi all,

My brother just picked up this SG looking deal at an antique store. There is no name on the headstock, which makes me think it was a badge of some kind that fell off. It is VERY similar to a Teisco I found on ebay, but we are trying to track down the model #. Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klaus_kins ... 407597374/

knigel

by knigel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 am

knigel

by Bassassin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:25 am

I'm 95% sure it's a Korean guitar, probably late 70s/early 80s, the truss rod cover & headstock sticker type tend to make me think it's made by Cort. That sticker is very likely the model number.

70s Korean guitars tended to be 5+ years behind Japanese in terms of build quality & type, which is why this looks a lot like early 70s MIJ. The truss rod cover (a style Cort nicked from Matsumoku) and headstock profile date it as late 70s onward, an earlier guitar would copy the Gibson designs. If you open it up, I suspect the potentiometers will have a logo that looks like "dp" - these are on most MIK guitars, I've never seen them on a Japanese instrument.

I'd say it's never had a headstock logo - many budget guitars of the era didn't - but to be honest it's so covered in filth it's hard to tell. Do give it a decent clean or you'll catch a life-threatening disease from it.

The "Teisco" you saw on Ebay was almost certainly no such thing. Ebay sellers love to make up rubbish to help punt their trash, and in many senses Teisco is this year's Ibanez, as far as funny old guitars are concerned, and any weird unbranded 60s/70s guitar these days is automatically a "Teisco".

Teisco guitars don't tend to be recognisable copies of other designs - - there were some Teisco-branded copies in the later 70s but these were predominantly Japanese home-market instruments, and to be honest, not as crude as your SG.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by knigel » Wed May 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks for all the info! My brother fixed it up a bit, and it's a looker but it need more work to be a player. I'll post an update when I get MY hands on it!
knigel

by skydog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:51 pm

call that number and see if anyone answers. :D
skydog

by knigel » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Ha, it's probably Jenny!
knigel

by selkentvintageaxeman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:03 am

"Life is what happens whilst your making plans"
selkentvintageaxeman

by gtkid2002 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:38 pm

First Post!!

Any more info on these SG clones would be awesome. A prior thread with one that had a different bridge stated it was probably a Kent clone. http://www.vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2064

You're not the only one with one though! Mine seems to be almost exactly like yours. I paid $150 for mine. Everything original minus the tuners. It struggles to really hold a tune for much more than an hour of light/medium jamming. I replaced the pickup magnets with some super-strong ones I pulled out of a computer hard drive which helped beef up the output. I've learned you can't really put strap locks on the original spot for where the strap holders go, so I get to relocate them sooner or later.

Seems to be a plywood guitar. Not very great sounding, but at least it's kinda fun to play on. Anyways, here's mine. I'll post better pictures when I get home if anybody's interested.

SG Ripoff
Jag Ripoff
Franken Squire
Jeff Berlin Signature Series Bass
Teisco checkmate 22 head
gtkid2002

by Big Beat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I concur, an early Korean. They often sold with no brand at all.
Big Beat

by lmrogp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:13 pm

You can see it in the 1977 Sears Christmas catalog, with a different tailpiece, listed as "From Korea":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/4 ... 2122081597

It's also in the 1979 Sears Christmas catalog, this time with the same tailpiece as yours, but now listed as "Imported":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishbook/6 ... et-1360453
lmrogp

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts