[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - I know its Greco

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

I know its Greco

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by RezZzeD » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Besides that its a Greco and in need of some serious TLC, can you all tell me everything you can about this guitar? Model name? Year? Value? Place I can get parts/wiring schematics?

I have not been able to locate a serial number anywhere on any of the pickups or the body/neck

RezZzeD

by Spud1950 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Your guitar is in two of the Greco catalogs available in the VintAxe collection. First one is the 1966 edition, listed as a model GE-3. It also appears in the 1967 catalog, but with a different number, model 911. It is the exact same looking guitar with the exact same catalog description, so I have no idea why they changed the model number. There's no 1968-1969 catalogs, but it doesn't appear in the 1970 catalog.As close as I can tell, dating it would be mid to late 1960s. As far as the missing parts, your chance of finding the originals is not totally impossible, but pretty slim. You will most likely have to find currently available after market parts,even though they might be different, that you can fit to the guitar. Here's pictures of an original condition guitar so you can see what the missing parts look like.

Tuners

String bar Behind the nut

Bridge

I have no idea where you would find a wiring diagram for it. There are some on this forum who are familiar with wiring this type of circuit,so maybe someone else can help you out. You should be specific as to what problem you're having with the electronics.
Spud1950

by RezZzeD » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Well, its not really what "problems" I'm having with the electronics as much as, this guitar was handed to me in a box in pieces. A good portion of the electronics is intact, but I don't think it has original solders. I think someone tried to work on this without any clue what they were doing. So it needs to be re-wired pretty much. Then I also need tuners, bridge components, nut, string tree thingie and to completely remount the pick guard and metal face plates because most of the screw holes are stripped out and they don't align properly.

Anyone ever played one of these or heard them? Interested in how its going to sound.
RezZzeD

by Mgeek » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:30 am

It's worth about $50, and is going to sound absolutely terrible. I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands if you like. :wink:

Srsly- beautiful looking guitar.

It should be quite easy to figure out a wiring diagram. It would just be each pickup into an on/off switch, then a combined Vol/Tone circuit. Not sure about the other switch- possibly a tone circuit or a phase reversal?

In the absence of a proper diagram I don't think it would hurt to leave that disconnected.

RE: Screw holes on the scratchplate...I wouldn't sweat 'em. When I've encountered loose holes like that I just fill them with a little bit of matchstick. Don't even need to glue them down.

RE: Tuners- you will be able to get something that will fit the holes that are originally there and look close enough, and probably work better than the originals.

RE: Bridge- you could just get a nice new tuneomatic to stick on there. Otherwise you could get something like the original from stewmac...filed under 'budget bridges'
Mgeek

by lordbizarre » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:40 am

yep , beautiful !!!
...beside the question : is that an original trem by Greco ? Must be since RezZzed's one has the same .But it's a Hagström copied one I believe .The only other one I know is a Kawai one on a S80 .
...and are those typical Greco knobs or just used by many Japanese companies ?
Would it be possible to put a pic up from the neckplate ?
thx
ivan alias lordbizarre
lordbizarre's electric guitar & amp museum
electric guitar and amp repair & expertise
Wange,belgium,€pe
lordbizarre@skynet.be 0032495260531
http://www.lordbizarre.com
lordbizarre

by RezZzeD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Well, I took some measurements off of the existing mounting holes for the bridge and tailpiece, no where near anything I can find on stewmac. I have a local luthier I like, but he is expensive. Ideas?
RezZzeD

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts