The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

maier guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Onetoomany » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 am

Sweet looking guitar with a chrome pickguard. Looks like its has chrome humbuck's in it too. Guitar back says Steel Reinforced Neck and I was wondering if that indicates anything as to who made the guitar? I'm 99% certain this guitar is going to be solid wood and heavy. She sure does look pretty and I can only hope its plays and sounds as good as it looks.

Pics at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
Onetoomany

by VintAxe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi Onetoomany.

I'm not certain who built your guitar :?

It has many Kawai characteristics such as the chrome pickguard, bar bridge, body shape and pickups but I have never seen that headstock profile on a Kawai. Based on the pickguard and pickups, I would guess it is mid 1960's.

I'm not sure some of your assumptions are correct. It is most likely the body is plywood since that black paint on the edges was generally used to cover the ply. Humbuckers were rarely used in 1960's Japanese guitars even though the Japanese imitated humbuckers with the pickup covers of their single coil pickups.

Looks like the price was right. Let us know what you find out once the guitar arrives.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts