[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Identifying Les Pauls with an L on a globe logo

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Identifying Les Pauls with an L on a globe logo

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Vlad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi!
Afaik this is the best forum to ask about really unknown guitars and I wouldn't do it if I hadn't already tried my best.

These are pictures of 2 models:

And here is a link to an auction of a strat:

I dont know if the body is the original one. Looks too new to me and the tremolo is no way MiJ. Rather Chinese.

My thoughts so far: Guitars with this logo are probably not even japanese cause neither the Les Pauls nor the Strats have a "Made in Japan" engraving. This is more typical for Korean guitars.
The toggle position is wrong and the body horn looks different than the japanese builds. Reminds me of the Korean Hondo II and Kay LPs. Also Hondo is one of the few who used open humbucker pickups (Dimarzios) but as those are not my guitars I cant look it up...

Luxor and other Matsumoko builds had mostly big Headstocks. And even if not, the shape of the back of the neck looks always quite different.

I'm not even sure if its really an L or an S or an Y in the logo :roll: but any help is appreciated, since I'm trying to identify this manufacturer for a long time now.

Thank you for your time! :)
Vlad

by VintAxe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Vlad, sorry no one has been able to help you so far.

The best I can tell is that the seller in the strat auction is correct that the distributor brand name is Luxor. From what I've seen so far, Luxor was a European (German) distributor that appears to have acquired guitars from a variety of different manufacturers and distributed them all with the Luxor brandname. I've seen a Luxor branded instrument that was definitely a Matsumoku instrument but these seem to be uncommon. Most appear to be from other sources.

I don't think you will be able to tie the Luxor brand to one specific supplier since the supplier seems to have changed across time.

I agree that the Les Paul copies in your link have a Korean look to them.

Our member Bassassin knows a few things about Korean Les Paul copies of the 70's. Hopefully he'll stop by before long and help us out.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts