[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Mystery guitar I bought in Japan

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Mystery guitar I bought in Japan

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cowbell » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I bought this guitar at a "Hard Off" store (used electronics) in northern JP. It was labeled as junk and I picked it up pretty cheap. cleaned the volume knob rheos and it was perfect. Any info on what this is or copy of? I have'nt seen any others like it, and it is an awesome player.

Uploaded with

Sorry couldn't get it to stop rotating the pic
cowbell

by VintAxe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Hey cowbell.

I'd say your guitar is a loose interpretation of a Rickenbacker 325 which was made famous by John Lennon during the early Beatle years. It's difficult to say who made it without spending a bit of time in the VintAxe Catalog Library. Although most Japanese companies focused on Fender/Gibson copies, I think Greco and Burny made Rickenbacker copies in the Mid-Late 70's. Ibanez/Hoshino also marketed 4001 basses as I recall.

Since you bought the guitar in Japan it is also very possible it was made by one of the smaller domestic builders. It is my understanding that Rickenbacker lawyers vigorously pursued legal action against companies that copied their designs which is one of the reasons you don't see more Rickenbacker copy guitars in the US.

You clearly "smuggled" one in :)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cowbell » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm

While I love it to death (guitar wise and sentimental) any idea what the true value could be? If I remember right I bought it for 8500 or so yen (in 2006) ...basically under $100 :D I had no idea it would have such a nice sound/ stay in tune, etc...plus it is flawless.
cowbell

by VintAxe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:34 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by cowbell » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:43 am

cowbell

by Mgeek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:36 am

Mgeek

by mrblanche » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:32 am

mrblanche

by Spud1950 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Spud1950

by Mgeek » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am

Mgeek

by mrblanche » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:22 pm

There IS a company that makes Rickenbacker copies. Not surprisingly, they're in China. It's a set model that can be bought by distributors worldwide, and it's not impossible they made the copy up above. You can order them; but, as others have pointed out, why buy the hassle for an inferior-sounding guitar?
mrblanche

by auriemma » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:42 am

With the courts allowing only the headstock to be copyright protected, the bodies are not an issue. If that guitar was made BEFORE that ruling, Its exempt from that ruling. And considering it says Photogenic as the name, Ric can't do much about it legally.
--- Joe ---
Still strummin' after all these years
auriemma

by selkentvintageaxeman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:55 pm

I have tried FIVE TIMES to sell my mid-70's Japanese "Shaftsbury" (Rose-Morris...an English importer) 330 semi acoustic copy on UK Ebay, and FIVE TIMEs that petty idiot John Hall has made them take it down.

I emailed him, and he replied personally, with some trite bullshit about trade infringment etc.

My guitar is 40 YEARS OLD!

I am poor!...and I needed to sell my much-loved guitar to pay for some repairs to my car, but the mulit-million dollar corperate monster that is Rickenbacker felt it necessary to stop me from doing so.

Pathetic.
"Life is what happens whilst your making plans"
selkentvintageaxeman

by Peer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:54 am

As to the original post, Photogenic, AFAIK, is a copy brand produced in The Philippines, and distributed throughout SE Asia. In Japan, the Kyoritsu Corp. used to be the importer until a couple of years ago.
Peer

by shanfranpsycho » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:31 am

shanfranpsycho

by VintAxe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey shanfranpsycho.

If you are in the market for a Japanese Rick copy be sure to check out my early 1970's 360 copy on the For Sale page. It may or may not be what you are looking for but you should take a look. It's a beautiful, unique and very playable instrument.

Here's the link, just scroll down:

VintAxe
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts