[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Ranger bass

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Ranger bass

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by linutisp » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:05 am

Maybe someone has info about this bass?

linutisp

by VintAxe » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:28 pm

I don't know who made the Jazz Bass linutisp but it does display an interesting collection of features. There are 2 things that caught my eye. First, the black block inlay neck was offered by Fender between 1966 and 1974. Interestingly, the thumb rest wasn't moved above the strings until 1973-74. Up through 1972, my literature shows the bar in the "finger rest" or "pull bar" position below the strings. In 1975 it is shown above the strings in the thumb rest position so this move must have been made in either 1973 or 74. I'm sure Fender experts can tell us exactly when this change occurred.

What this all says to me is that the bass in your picture is a copy of a Fender Jazz that would have only been produced by Fender in 1973 or 74. So, I'm guessing the bass dates to the mid or later 70's.

I only have one lead so far on the brand name Ranger. It was used on budget Japanese guitars probably built by Kawai in the late 60's or early 70's. Here is a picture of the logo I found and the guitar the logo was on:

Obviously the script in the logo on the guitar is different than the logo on the bass. I see two possibilities. Ranger updated their logo design in the 1970's or these are two different companies. I have no evidence to choose one possibility over the other. :?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Electraglide » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Nice pic.. Any info on the two guitars on either side? The hollowbodied ones.
Electraglide

by linutisp » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks VintAxe.
Electraglide,these two are Czechoslovakian Jolana Tornado's.
linutisp

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts