The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Would like some help identifying this (maybe?) Teisco guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by CptFancyPants » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 am

Hi everyone,
A friend tasked me with tracking down info for this guitar he bought at a garage sale, but so far I'm not having much luck. My best guess is some kind of Teisco from the '60s, but I'm not sure. As far as I can tell there are no identifying serial numbers/model number/etc anywhere on it; just the patent number (34-4127) on the truss rod cover. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I did the best I could with the pictures, but they're not great. http://bit.ly/rXPztu
CptFancyPants

by wietse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm

that's a kawai, one of the variations on the S-70/S-80 model.
late 60's early 70's. value? low very low, i owned a few of these things and never paid more than 30 euro for it, and even then it was hard work to make any profit.
wietse

by VintAxe » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Hey CptFancyPants.

I agree with wietse that your guitar is a model S-80 built by Kawai. Based on the chrome pickguard cover, knobs and truss rod cover I think it was built around 1963-64.

I would say wietse is also correct about value given the guitar's condition, probably in the $75-$125 range in the US.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts