[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - They don't come much weirder than this one...HELP!!!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

They don't come much weirder than this one...HELP!!!

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by concrete_charlie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 pm

concrete_charlie

by Mgeek » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:48 pm

No idea, but it's awesome looking!

Has it got a stereo output jack, or is it just split internally like a Burns (or just for show?)
Mgeek

by concrete_charlie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:33 pm

I haven't dove into the electronics yet, but there isn't another input on this guitar. I figured I'd try to add a pic to help the cause!!!
concrete_charlie

by wietse » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 am

the used neckplate i have seen before on some zen-on guitars, the looks are weird enough to be of that brand.
wietse

by Big Beat » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:34 pm

This is a very rare model that I've been trying to research myself. Not much luck so far. It was made by some smaller Japanese company, not one of the giants like Kawai or Fuji, and info on those little guys is just not out there.

The pickup coils are split. On my example the wiring is shot and I only get output from three treble strings, but not from the other three bass ones!

This is only the third such guitar that I have ever seen, besides my own. About six years ago, there was a greenburst one on eBay branded "Imperial". However, Imperial is one of those fly-by-night stencils which is found on models that can just as often show up under any one of a zillion other such obscure names, so it's really not much help. The logo on the headstock was a black oval sticker with silver lettering, those peel off and get lost easily. Hence most of these guitars are found nameless. I would love to find another example with a brand other than Imperial, something that might provide a clue.
Big Beat

by concrete_charlie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it! I'm surprised/glad that someone else owns one of these! I recently bought mine from NJ, so it must've been an east coast importer. Big Beat. there are a few things about this guitar that says Teisco to me. Like the neck plate that apparently only appeared on Kawai/Teisco guitars from a certain time period, like 67-69. And that headstock shape appeared on Teisco basses from the same time period. And how about that "pizza slice" pickguard? The strange things I find myself obsessed with are things like this!!

What I'd like to do is try to create a list of definitive identifying characteristics that people could use to figure out these old guitars. Like, THIS pickup is only found used by THIS brand during THESE years. I don't know if it's possible but it'd be fun to try to accumulate a list like that. There is a Teisco site that has some good info. called Teisco Tone, and it's a Japanese site. I've used it but I can't say if all the information is accurate. I do know that if we combine all our knowledge we might come close!
concrete_charlie

by Big Beat » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 am

This doesn't look like any Teisco to me at all. If some design details are similar, it's only because that's what was current and/or popular at the time. And early Japanese hardware is notoriously hard to ID because many builders sourced from the same suppliers.
Big Beat

by concrete_charlie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Is there any information about the smaller guitar makers from 1960s Japan? Are there any books or anything out there? Does anyone have any connections in Japan who could find out?
concrete_charlie

by concrete_charlie » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:56 am

Hey, check this out! I found an Imperial for sale through Gbase, and check out the headstock. Same one it seems!
concrete_charlie

by Peer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 am

About Imperial: this trademark for instrument imports was registered by the Imperial Accordion Manufacturing Co. of Chicago in 1961 (now long expired). Guitars appear to have been sourced from Guya in Japan, which in turn were distributed through Teisco - which of course became Kawai-owned in 1967.
Peer

by concrete_charlie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey Peer, welcome to the forum and thanks for your knowledge!!!!
concrete_charlie

by Big Beat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Some earlier Imperials are indeed by Guyatone, and, while rare, are certainly more common. But the later ones, while probably sold by the same distributor, came from a different source.
Big Beat

by concrete_charlie » Tue May 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Hey everyone, we just did a video demo of this guitar and I thought everyone might enjoy it!
concrete_charlie

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts