[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1960s Intermark Cipher Guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1960s Intermark Cipher Guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by concrete_charlie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi all, I was hoping anyone out here could provide some information about these Intermark Cipher guitars? Here's what I know: apparently Intermark was the importer and Cipher was the manufacturer or simply just the badge. Almost all the solid body guitars closely copied the Italian Eko guitars, and I mean REALLY copied them! Pickup placement, switching, and tremolos are almost identical and have only subtle differences compared with their Italian Eko counterparts. These Cipher guitars are also closely related to the Pleasant Japanese guitars of the same time. One interesting part they both share is the truss rod cover. The cover also acts to hold down the strong tree/retainer. This is the only time I've ever seen this before and the odd double duty use of the truss rod cover that these guitars share seems to be more than coincidence.
concrete_charlie

by Peer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:56 am

These were imported into the U.S. by an East Coast wholesaler called Inter-Mark and distributed primarily to department stores. (The company seems still to exist as Intermark Industries Inc., headquartered in Miami, FL, though now concentrating on electronics products and parts).

Besides Cipher, they also used the name Columbia, with the same small rectangular headstock badge:

Both brands sported this rather endearing neckplate:

As regards the OEM, I would suspect post-1967 Kawai. The headstock style has much in common with some of the Kingston and St. George models of that period, and the 'warp proof' necks appear to be the same kind of wood laminate used on e.g. the Avalon guitars, as immortalized by The Shaggs. - The Pleasant brand belonged to the Shiro Musical Instruments Mfg Co., but as you say, probably shares the same provenance.
Peer

by Big Beat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Not much out there to know about Intermark, except that they were higher-than-average quality, and are easy to identify in any condition because of the lettering on the neckplate. Another case of a small Japanese independent company formed to ride the '65 - '67 guitar boom, that went bust in '68. There seems to have been at least two models (slightly different body & headstock shapes), each available in 2, 3, or 4 pickup versions. Most were standard redburst, some tobacco/"mustardburst". Solid colors, sparkle colors and colored pickguards are much more rare. Interesting guitars and quite playable. Not too rare as such, though a nice 4-pickup non-redburst model in good condition is quite collectible.

There indeed may be some connection to Avalon. I also suspect that Tombo is mixed in there somewhere, because the vibratos are identical to those found on Tombo's Norma sparkle models. Though again, possibly just a common supplier.
Big Beat

by concrete_charlie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:22 am

Peer and Big Beat, thanks for your knowledge!!! The Tombo tremolo is right on, I didn't make that connection although I've seen enough of those Norma sparkles. The Avalon connection is a really cool suggestion. Is the maker of the Avalon a mystery too? I always thought that was Greco? And I've never seen these guitars with a Columbia badge before, so that was a great discovery! A couple more clues to search...
concrete_charlie

by concrete_charlie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Here's another clue I found regarding the Cipher guitars!! There was also a slimline hollow body guitar sold through Intermark with the same neck plate. Well I found one of these for sale on gbase, and get this, the headstock amazingly has the sticker still on the headstock, and it says "Bandstand Music Corp., Westfield New Jersey." Does that mean anything to anyone? Here's the link
concrete_charlie

by Big Beat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Oh yes, I forgot about the Cipher Vibra-Slim copies. FAR more rare than the solidbodies. The sticker is probably just a music store sticker, though.
Big Beat

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts