The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Coratone les paul

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Onetoomany » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:44 pm

I just picked up this les Paul copy by coratone made in korea.

I will post picks tmrw but it's a bolt on neck vintage sunburst with two cream colored humbuckers labeled "shadow" on each of the buckers!

Guitar is very heavy and plays awesome.

It's a GLP custom copy

What factory made these?

Why can't I find ANY info on this guitar at all?

I think I own the only one left in existence! =>
[/quote]
Onetoomany

by Onetoomany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:19 am

sticker on back of headstock says made in Korea. I had one guy tell me that NOT one of these are left because people threw them away because they are total junk. Is that not the story with a lot of guitars including japanese, USA, and other nation's guitars? That guys opinion was really foolish...

This guitar rocks and sounds amazing! Those Shadow pickups really sound great and how could you argue that the guitar is not a real LOOKER! :)
Onetoomany

by Onetoomany » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 am

One thing I noticed is that it has a very similar "post lawsuit" headstock that Univox guitars have except the HUMP is a little taller than the univox.

But one thing is for sure the build quality/playability is easily as good as similar spec'd japanese guitars from same era. I read somewhere that the Korean guitar makers were like 10 some odd years behind the Jap guitars in quality.

So, that being said why does this guitar just FEEL like a good japanese guitar to me? I have had my hands on bolt on neck les paul copies by Univox, ventura, electra, harmony, drifter all of which are I believe to be matsumoko. This guitar feels like every one of those. Same quality, weight, playability everything.

Do you think its made by cort? What year do you think this is? Im guessing 1980 to maybe 1985? Cort is the only korean guitar maker that I really ever thought made exceptional guitars during the 80's.
Onetoomany

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts