[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Logo identification

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Logo identification

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Spellcaster » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Is there a site or resource that someone can recomend to help identify a headstock logo? I recently did a Matsumoku rebuild and all it needs is a headstock logo, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I've been told it could be a Conrad or Lyle, but have no way of confirming it. The best clue so far is a faint mark in the headstock finish that can't be seen when looking at the guitar, but does show up in a picture. It looks vaguely thunderbird shaped with two closely-set mounting holes.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.
I know just enough to be dangerous...
Spellcaster

by concrete_charlie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 pm

I've seen these guitars labeled as Howard and Tempo also, but I don't think those badges fit that thunderbird looking shape.
concrete_charlie

by opotable » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:33 pm

i could be wrong but i think you should look at a recent post i made. :idea:
opotable

by Spellcaster » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Opotable, can you give me a clue which thread you're referring to. I searched for your posts and there are over 50. Thanks.
Spellcaster

by opotable » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 am

this one:

http://vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3277

the headstock on yours looks exactly the same.

opotable

by mrblanche » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Maybe I'm being dense, but the only similarity I see between those two headstocks is the truss rod cover. Of course, one's a 6-string and one's a bass, but the shape of the headstock is different (note the curve between the point and the curl), the woods are different, the construction is different.
mrblanche

by opotable » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

i don't think you're being dense, but maybe i was. :wink:
opotable

by Spellcaster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Well, there is a familial resemblance. The Epiphone ET270, the Aria, the Lyle, and the Conrad are all basically the same guitar, so stuff like that truss rod cover are bound to show up on similar instruments. What I noticed about the one that opotable referred to is the spacing of the holes where the badge fastens are the same. I've been cruising eBay looking at vintage and reproduction badges (both the shape, and the pin spacing), but so far no luck. I appreciate any ideas you guys have to share.
Spellcaster

by Electraglide » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:53 pm

I could be wrong Spellcaster but the shape of the logo reminds me of the logos that came on some of the old Raven guitars. http://vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php ... ight=raven
Electraglide

by Spellcaster » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Electraglide, I think you nailed it. The shape looks right, the spacing of the mounting pins looks dead on. Thanks so much!

Now all I gotta do is find a headstock logo.......
Spellcaster

by opotable » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:20 am

very interesting. maybe my bass was a RAVEN too. :)
opotable

by Electraglide » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Could be Opotable. Seems like the Raven name was used by a few guitar mfc's. Spellcasters is a Matsumoku, mine is a Kawai/Tiesco. Aside from a few different metal badges on the headstock there has to be at least 7 or 8 different script styles and positions. Kinda like the old Sivlvertone guitars.
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... CN6609.jpg
Electraglide

by Spellcaster » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:12 pm

When I was looking online for headstock logos last night, one of my Raven searches turned up information that a number of the Matsumoku guitars that appeared as Univox's in the US were marketed under the Raven name in Canada. The last time I had a guitar exactly like the one I have now (back in '73) it had the Toledo name on the headstock. I think a lot of the brand names were pinned on guitars from the different factories. I have (awaiting restoration) an early 70's MIJ Les Paul that I bought from the original owner. It's also missing the headstock logo, but he told me it was a Raven as well. I've never found any info online that states what factory built Raven's LP's.
Spellcaster

by Electraglide » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 am

From what I can find out, the names Raven, Canora. Mann, Pearl and a few others were put on musical instruments brought into Canada for the Great West Imports Ltd. co. in Vancouver in the 60's and early 70's. They were on Hastings st., down by the old Army and Navy I think.
Electraglide

by G.B.Customs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 pm

Definitely a raven branded guitar logo should be Gold and black in color. You can get ar replacement from Raven in Vancouver although I don't know the adress sould find on google. should e cast pot metal.
G.B.Customs

Next

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts