[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need help identifying my guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need help identifying my guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by tgtrefz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:05 pm

I found this gem in my fiance's grandpa's attic. It looks like a Rick copy. The pickguard has del rey inlayed on it but I can't find any serial number except some numbers stamped on the neck plate. Any info you guys have on it would be appreciated. I've searched all over and can't seem to find a teisco of similar design.
Image[/img]
tgtrefz

by mike_C » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:40 pm

very cool! i've never seen one of those before.

headstock shape, tuners, and bridge are identical to a 67' Teisco dg-67 i have. i'd say it's a japan-only Teisco.

congrats,
m
mike_C

by mike_C » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:41 pm

dbl, sorry.
Last edited by mike_C on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike_C

by tgtrefz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm

I know his father bought the guitar from an old sewing store her
in town. I'll try to take some detail pics of it.
tgtrefz

by wietse » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:43 am

looks a kawai to me, looking at those pu's these have never been used by teisco, i guess it's one of those guitars they produced with mostly teisco parts they had a large stock of after taking over teisco.
a lot kawai models are unknown and never featured in any catalogue.
wietse

by tgtrefz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 am

As promised some close up pics to help possibly narrow down what this is.
I stripped it down to clean up everything. The tremelo was sheared off so ordered a Guitar fetish surfer whammy thats in the mail. I apologize for the size of the pics. I tried resizing them but they still are show up huge. If you hit ctrl + minus a few times they will be more manageable

All the hardware

Close up of the pup's

Close up of the tailpiece/tremelo

Headstock front

Headstock back

Neckplate with mystical serial numbers :lol:

Bridge from the back

Internal body shot

Body shot

And finally neck
tgtrefz

by tgtrefz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 am

tgtrefz

by VintAxe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 pm

This is definitely an unusual instrument. The headstock profile says 1967-68 Teisco but I've never seen the trussrod cover and shark tooth inlays on a Teisco or Kawai. The Del Rey indicates a Jack Westheimer US import so I don't think it is a domestic only Japanese product.

I must admit that when I first saw it I thought it might be a marriage of a 67-68 Teisco neck with an early 70's body. Now that you have it apart are their any indications that it has been modified from it's original state?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by tgtrefz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Not that I've seen. I'm pretty sure I was the first one to open it up since it was made.
tgtrefz

by tgtrefz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Not that I've seen. I'm pretty sure I was the first one to open it up since it was made.
tgtrefz

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts