The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Hyundai SL Series bought in Brazil

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by RaedWulf » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I got here as I was looking for information on an "old" guitar I have, a Hyundai SL Series (or so it says on it) that I bought about 15 years ago in Brazil.

I stumbled upon the website thanks to a google search that showed the Hyundai guitar catalog in the catalogs section of the site, and what looks to be a blue version of my burgundy guitar on its cover.

Thing is, that's the only data I've found on it online. All I know is:

- It has a deep, warm, bodied or jazzy sound to it except on the first pick up selector position, in which it's more high pitched.

- It has a "Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents" Floyd Rose Tremolo bar

- It seems to be made of durable wood as it's show no sign of warping over the years

- Pickups that I don't know who made, but say APS on them.

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the lighting, couldn't do more for it.

If any of you know what guitar this is or have any feedback, please let me know. I appreciate the help, and I'm very curious as to finally be able to know what this is and what components it has.

Thanks in advance.[/img]
RaedWulf

by VintAxe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi RaedWulf.

There are no SL series guitars in my 1990 Hyundai Catalog. What you can't see in the cover guitar is that the headstock is more "pointy" than your guitar. However, it is likely your guitar was built a year or two before or after the 1990 catalog.

There are no specific electronic specs given. They do identify body and neck wood. Some of the bodies are identified as Alder, others just "solid wood". Looks like most the necks are maple.

Given your guitar originated in Korea, it is almost certain it was built by either Samick or Cort.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by RaedWulf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi VintAxe!

Thanks for the quick reply. What you say is very interesting - believe it or not the only other reference to an "SL Series" guitar I've seen online is also from someone who bought it in Brazil.

If the guitar is indeed built by Samick, is there a possibility the pickups might be Seymour Duncan? I ask because of the APS nomenclature and what look to be 2 hot rails pickups like these:

I also looked into Cort, and found that the guitar also looks similar to the X series:

- in fact, the knobs look a lot like those shown in the picture above, on the X6 VPR.

It also has a lot of what looks to be the finish of a Cort guitar, Viva series:

Being that the plant is in South Korea, I think Cort might be it's maker.

What do you think? Thanks for the info!
RaedWulf

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts