[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - First Japan Guitar Help

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

First Japan Guitar Help

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by azscr4mbl3r » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:10 am

Good Morning,

This is my 1st post and first Japan Guitar. I can't find the model or make.
No markings. thin plywood body mahogany neck. route for a tremolo. two Pickups jack on front see photo if it'll post for me. PB URL below

-Allen

Last edited by azscr4mbl3r on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azscr4mbl3r

by azscr4mbl3r » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 am

azscr4mbl3r

by VintAxe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 pm

VintAxe
Site Admin

by azscr4mbl3r » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:07 pm

azscr4mbl3r

by VintAxe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey Allen.

I own over 200 60's Japanese guitars and fix them all the time. Here's my perspective on your guitar.

These guitars are worth two to three times value in parts compared to an intact instrument. You'll never get your money back if you buy vintage parts to restore this instrument.

Here is my advice. If you want to practice your refinishing skills and don't care about time, labor and money, do whatever you want.

If you would like to break even on your investment, sell this project guitar and buy a more interesting Japanese body shape. This is a yawn guitar shape that looks like a stubby stratocaster. There are plenty of cheap strats in the world for someone interested in that shape.

Collectors like 60's Japanese guitars because they are cheap and have unconventional body shapes. If I was to put the time and expense into a restoration, I would start with a cool body shape. It's probably cheaper to buy quality new parts than original vintage parts so I say if you're interested in restoring a gutted guitar, build yourself a player using new parts. If you want vintage Japanese, just buy one in good shape. Like I said, you'll pay more in vintage parts than the cost of an intact instrument.

This is advise based on financial considerations so if you don't mind losing money then you are free to do whatever. I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear. Sorry, it's my experience.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by azscr4mbl3r » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Got it! Thanks... I just started building guitars from parts last month... 5 are making noise and sounding fair to good.. I really just enjoy bringing them back to life I am a drummer so I am out of my depth from the jump... LOL
Going to try to make a pick guard for it so wish me luck :)

-Allen

thanks again...
azscr4mbl3r

by VintAxe » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Well, I'm sure your hobby is more satisfying and cheaper than golf :wink:

Keep bringing them back. 8)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by azscr4mbl3r » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:41 am

Good point at least it is fun and productive.... I layed them all out to share a group picture today. only two Japan guitars so far but one was free one was 5 bucks and two were fifteen bucks .... However I hear you that the parts are the drain on the wallet...

-Allen

[img][img]http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd515/azscr4mbl3r/Guitars/DSCF0006.jpg[/img][/img]
azscr4mbl3r

by azscr4mbl3r » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:53 am

Is there a common name or "type" that the tremolo on this Japan guitar has with the shallow route in the front called? It is 7/8ths" deep and 2 3/4" 1 1/2"
Does some one have a picture of a typical tremolo that would go in such a route?

thanks again,

-Allen
azscr4mbl3r

by concrete_charlie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:46 pm

I think you guitar body and neck would've looked like this straight from the factory...check out the link.
concrete_charlie

by azscr4mbl3r » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks!! I think that is pretty darn close... Horns might be a tad different but it is an odd angle..

-Allen
azscr4mbl3r

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts