[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Vintage Suzuki Guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Vintage Suzuki Guitar

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Tony Mc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:56 am

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this so any assistance is appreciated

I've recently bought a Suzuki guitar from a 2nd hand store whilst working in Hamburg. I've contacted Suzuki and got no assistance from them WRT the model etc.

So, can anyone offer any advice or guidance? Pics are on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonymc22/

Thanks,

Tony Mc
Cheers,

Tony Mc
Tony Mc

by concrete_charlie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:17 am

There were two Suzuki's in Japan. They were one company, but after the war they were split into Suzuki Violin of Kiso and Suzuki Violin of Nagoya. Like the name says, they made violins but during the 60s they both jumped into the guitar boom. One company still exists and the other closed, but I forget which. Anyway, your guitar (which is really cool by the way!) is from one of those Suzukis. Can you measure the neck plate and check the electronics to see what pots are in there? I might be able to narrow it down if I had that info.
concrete_charlie

by VintAxe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Tony.

Your guitar looks like a mid 1960's model to me. During this period Suzuki model names were E followed by a couple of digits and a T if the guitar had tremolo. So your guitar is probably something like an E-3?T with the 3 representing the number of pickups in the instrument.

Also, the green sparkle plastic that the pups are mounted in doesn't look original to me. On close inspection does it look original to you? I've seen that style of pickup discussed on the Forum before but I can't find the post.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Tony Mc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks both,

I'm currently working in Germany so, I wiil try and source some tools from work (screwdrivers) so i can access the pots, take pics etc.

Additionally, I will measure the neckplate and revert.

Cheers

Tony

PS this isn't really important as I'm a collector and not a seller but, would you have any basic idea of an approximate value of the guitar?
Cheers,

Tony Mc
Tony Mc

by Tony Mc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 am

Cheers,

Tony Mc
Tony Mc

by concrete_charlie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Nice pics man, that's Suzuki Violin Nagoya. Still in business but not interested in revisiting anything they produced in the 1960s. They might even be embarrassed!?!?! Or they just don't have any knowledge base from that time.
From experience, those pickups usually read very hot and sound awesome. As for price, probably not worth too much, but still cool.
concrete_charlie

by VintAxe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Interesting that the pup plate reverses. The brown side looks more original to me. I just don't see how the green sparkle fits with the sunburst finish but I will never underestimate Japanese "creativity". :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Tony Mc » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:37 am

Gents,

Genuinely, thanks.

Any idea on the year apart from 60's?

As I mentioned the value isn't important to me as I collect (FYI, I paid €85 - £66) but, I do know that these types of genuine instrument, with provenance, are increasing in value and becoming more poular. Hence, the likes of Danelectro etc bringing out range(s) of 60's style retro guitars. So, an indication of value would be appreciated, if possible (insurance puposes as I have quite a collection of guitars).

The only work it needs is a fret dress and new nut which I'll get done when back in the UK.

Cheers,

Tony Mc :D
Cheers,

Tony Mc
Tony Mc

by Tony Mc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:19 am

Gents,

I took the neck off to see if there were any serial No's. Nothing there.

Pics are on original photostream

Cheers

Tony Mc
Cheers,

Tony Mc
Tony Mc

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts