[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Teicso del ray: WG-2L

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Teicso del ray: WG-2L

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by devnulljp » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 am

Any ideas on this Teisco? It's ugly and clunky as can be but has those nice gold foil pickups. A slide monster .. .or a very nice sounding cheese grater.

Mid 60s?

EDIT: It's a WG-2L

Last edited by devnulljp on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canada: we put the “u” in satire.
devnulljp

by devnulljp » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:23 am

Ah, Google is my friend.
It's a 1960s Teisco WG-2L -- looks like the number designation indicates pickups as there was also a 3L with three of those pickups.

Made from 1963-68.

Found some info here (in Japanese): http://ushigomepan.seesaa.net/article/278728235.html

http://ushigomepan.seesaa.net/article/154800636.html

Even has a sound clips.
devnulljp

by mike_C » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 am

hilarious, sound clip is coltrane's Giant Steps ...

that's a sweet guitar and i bet it sounds nice for more than just slide!

i've got GF's in a few different guitars now. just replaced a speed bump pup in an old speed demon w/ a GF ... sounds good.

congrats,
m
mike_C

by devnulljp » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am

devnulljp

by VintAxe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Hey devnulljp.

By 1965, the WG-4L had the striped pick guard and fish hook headstock. Your guitar has a pickguard identical to the 1963 Teisco MJ-2. I say your instrument was built in 1963, maybe 1964.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Ok, upon further review, your guitar has the pickguard of a 1963 and a trem unit seen on a 1965. I'm going to hedge my bets and say your instrument was built in 1964.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by devnulljp » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:11 pm

devnulljp

by Jimmy_noise » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:25 am

Ta
Jimmy Noise
Jimmy_noise

by jfine » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:09 am

My first electric guitar was a St. George with the identical body, headstock and pickguard shape. Mine had different pickups and knobs, but the same bridge, slightly different tremolo, and bright yellow buttons on the tuners. The pickguard was chrome and the neck was sunbursted to match the body. I bought it new in September of '64--paid $85 for it as I recall. A couple of years ago at a vintage guitar show, I ran into one identical to my old one--it was missing its tremolo arm and nameplate, but you could see where the old one was. Definitely a St. George, and for all I know, it could have been my old one--I've never seen another one with the identical combination of features except for that one. I'd have bought it out of nostalgia, but the guy wanted $250 for it. Nostalgia isn't worth that much--mine was a pretty awful guitar, although I was sure glad to have it when I was fourteen!
jfine

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts