[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Additional info wanted...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Additional info wanted...

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by auriemma » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am

Not your typical Martin...

First... its electric!
Second... Its HIDEOUS from the factory.
Third... Not even Martin Customer Service has any info on it.

I saw this Martin Stinger SRX with OHSC on my local CL on and off for the last 6 months. Every few weeks the price drops... $200, $175, $150, $100, it hit $75. I actually felt sorry for it. I got it for $50.

UPSIDE: The neck looks straight, the frets are in good order, the tuners work (don't know if they hold tune), The bridge needs cleaning, and only a couple of minor dings.

DOWNSIDE: It is definitely a project: Missing nut, bad wiring, broken pot, broken switch, missing a neck screw, no back access covers, supposedly the pickups work (who knows), and a hideous FACTORY paint job (see the pic, What was Martin thinking? Eh... it was the 80s).

I called Martin about info and parts. The rep almost laughed. They didn't even track serial numbers let alone hang on to parts. So I am on my own there.

If you have any info on it (years made, where made, woods used, etc.), please pass it along. Thanks!
--- Joe ---
Still strummin' after all these years
auriemma

by VintAxe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah, that is pretty 80's. I've never seen a Randy Rhoads style Stinger before. I have a couple of flyers and most of the guitars listed are stratish style. I can't find a reference to an SRX style so you appear to have something unusual.

Martin just imported these guitars from Korea. Their only role was to inspect and set up the instruments so it doesn't surprise me they know nothing about them. Martin just wanted to use their distribution network to make a few dollars from aspiring metal players. The guitars cost around $300 new back in the day.

Given they came from Korea, they were most likely built by Cort or Samick.

Don't touch that paint job, it is the guitar's most redeeming quality. :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Here is the most info I've been able to find:

VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts