[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - "Mystery" 12-string violin body

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

"Mystery" 12-string violin body

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Sky Blue Lou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 am

So this is the guitar that led me to this site. Picked up at a yard sale by a guy that works for me. I was intrigued so I bought it:

There is a Youtube vid of this guitar badged as a Black Jack - slightly different appointments - and I've seen a picture of one badged as a Crown. Kawai/Teisco I guess. Haven't been able to glean much more than that.

The guitar is in good shape. Everything works although it's strung lefty so I couldn't play it. Brought it to my local shop - good guy, knows his stuff. The neck had a slight bow but the truss rod works so he's setting it up. Gonna go Rick-style stringing and looking into flatwounds. Pots were nasty scratchy but just need a cleaning. He's gonna cut a new nut as well.

So... anyone have more info on this wee beastie? It's not for sale but a value estimate would be appreciated as well. This is my first messing about with vintage japanese stuff and I've got a lot of learning to do. If this one turns out well I may actually go looking for some others.
Sky Blue Lou

by ringo-11 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Smart looking thing Lou - good score - take it you got it for a decent price?
ringo-11

by Sky Blue Lou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm

$100. I thought that was fair. I'll wind up putting another $80 or so into it. Just ordered Pyramid flatwounds $36 w/shipping. The cleaning/set up will be $40 or so.

Small investment for a fun first time project with these things. The proof will be in the playing. Hope I can find out what the heck it is.
Sky Blue Lou

by VintAxe » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Lou.

It's hard to know for sure who made the guitar but is is definitely in the Kawai/Teisco family.

That "check mark" headstock profile was popular in 1968 so I would guess it was made about then.

I'd say value is between $300-$400 depending on if it has reasonable intonation and will stay in tune. I have one of these with a scroll headstock and I can't keep it in tune through one song. Good luck with yours.

Here is a link to a similar instrument that sold for $400. I think the green finish helped push it up to top dollar.

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Sky Blue Lou » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks for the response. I had hoped that the headstock would be a definitive marker to those in the know. I was thinking about subscribing to the catalog listings but for just this guitar... - do you suppose it's hiding in there?

Thanks for the value estimate as well. About in line with what I was thinking. It's in surprisingly good shape and the construction quality is quite good. How it made it this far without the neck being way bowed is beyond me. I'm hoping it sets up and intonates well too. My tech leans toward double-sided sticky tape under the bridge to "set" the location or, alternatively, light pencil marks at the corners for easy relocation. I'm on the fence but thinking pencil marks are less risky.

I'm still digging for info. I have a few leads to older music store owners in these parts who may have sold the Black Jack line marketed by Harris-Fandel out of Boston back in the day. I may get lucky.
Sky Blue Lou

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts