[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - My Telestar is a dream "pawn shop guitar"

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

My Telestar is a dream "pawn shop guitar"

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by johnny2hats » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 am

I got this beauty along with an excellent condition 50's True Tone arch top. $300 for both. Combined!!! I can not find a guitar that is identical to her anywhere online, and I've searched almost every corner. She plays wonderfully and sounds amazing. I'm getting the idea that she is from 1967, give or take few years. This is based on an accumulation of my research results. Anybody know more about this guitar, such as model name, etc? I am pretty sure it's a Kawai or Teisco built guitar, imported by Telestar.

DSCN0757.JPG
I know she's a Telestar, and that's all.
DSCN0757.JPG (143.84 KiB) Viewed 5085 times
johnny2hats

by BluesHawk » Tue May 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by Phizix » Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 pm

I'd say you are pretty spot on with your analysis of this guitar as a '67 or '68 Teisco / Kawai built guitar.

It looks similar to this teisco that we sold on vintaxe a while ago Image

I couldn't find the exact guitar with the telestar brand name on it but I think it might be based on the '67 or '68 Teisco EP-2T

This picture of a guitar for sale looks similar Image

The seller of this guitar claims this guitar is an EP-8T but that model usually has more rounded horns and your has the more pointy horns which leads me to believe its based on the EP-2T

This is the '68 Teisco catalog page in our database with the EP-2T which I think your guitar most closely resembles.

http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_ ... teisco_003

You will have to subscribe to view our catalog scans and can do so here if you would like, http://www.vintaxe.com/subscribe.htm

Here is a short youtube video of the Teisco EP-2T that gives you a decent look at the body
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvJVzwx-1c[/youtube]
Phizix

by johnny2hats » Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 am

Hey guys! Thanks for the input on my guitar. The cymbal and its mount are from back in my "one man band" days. I tried to get an old kick drum to mount on there but it kept messing with the intonation. Can't have it all. Hahaha! This picture Phizix posted is the first I've come across that is identical to mine, bodywise. I'm amazed by all the small differences. (rounded horns, different shaped panel under controls, different switches, ed said er, uh (etc.) It's like each one has its own little signature.
Blueshawk, it is completely hollow and yes, the body is bound. I had my well trusted luthier/friend open her up and strengthen the spots where the 45 year old glue had glue had deteriorated. The bridge is held down by string tension (I'm sure there is a technical term for that. I like "free-bridge", as in "I'm as free as a bridge now . . . ) :roll: The saddles are rollers but do not have independent vertical movement. With the bridge set to a very slight angle, the intonation is spot on. The feedback is certainly an added bonus and I incorporate it into my writing/recording when appropriate. I filmed myself, for my own amusement, as I moved the guitar around, in relation to the amp, getting different frequencies of feedback. It makes a great British police siren!
I am so glad to be a part of this wonderful website! I can tell that I'm among friends. I have a growing collection of unique vintage guitars and I plan on posting their pics along with some questions about them over time.

Y'all take care!
johnny2hats

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts