[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Is this even a Vintage MIJ?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Is this even a Vintage MIJ?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by hudsonnh » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 am

here's an ad on our local Craigslist, it doesn't say much:
"never used, newly strung, with carrying case."

they're asking $60.

has features of an older made in Japan, but "never used" and the condition makes me wonder....

What do you all think?

Photos:

hudsonnh

by Phizix » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am

Looks legit to me but I am not familiar with that body shape. If the neck is straight and it's playable you can't really go wrong for $60.
Phizix

by hudsonnh » Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Yeah - $60 isn't much if it plays....

I'm mostly curious why the seller wouldn't make a note about the potential age of this....but you never know on Craigslist....

I'm spending my pennies on a Jazz box tomorrow instead....Ibanez AK85.
hudsonnh

by VintAxe » Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm

The headstock profile is a give away that it is a 1967 Japanese model built by Teisco/Kawai. It's worth more in parts than $60. Buy it and part it out for more than triple your money on eBay or buy it and make a sale at around the $175 price point. The case is almost worth $60.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by hudsonnh » Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks - I might just check it out.....except just bought another guitar today...

Curious - with that bridge set up, how is intonation adjusted on the guitar in the opening post?
hudsonnh

by Phizix » Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Phizix

by johnny2hats » Thu May 09, 2013 1:06 am

I'm 99% sure that it's legit. I'd be jumpin' all over that for $60! It's a cool looking guitar, and would be worth it (to me) even if it just hung on the wall. I imagine the seller did not know what to post as far as make and model go. Often, these teisco/kawai guitars are nearly impossible to pinpoint. You can get in the ballpark and that's about it. I've been collecting them for a while and I soon learned that it's best to just let it be whatever it is, and love it for whatever it is! I have one very similar to this one. I know it's a Teisco /Guyatone from the mid 60's. It was underwater for 4 days after Katrina. Luckily, the neck wasn't submerged. That ol' gal managed to keep her head(stock) above the muddy waters. A couple of new pots, wiring harness, and a jack and she is going strong.
You will probably want to use some light gauge, low tension strings if you get it. I usually never tune mine beyond dgcfad (every string a whole step down from regular 440) either. Played through my Fender Super Six, this low tuning is pretty damn tough! Also, the bridge could be removed, and swapped out for a similar saddle that will slide back and forth, slightly. It would probably take 2 small mounting screws. Not that it really does any good though. Just tune low (capo if needed), crank it through some tubes, and, as my late friend, Paul Wine Jones used to say, "aagghhh, iss close 'nuff fuh da blues . . ."
I'll try to post a picture of the "adjustable bridge" in case you may want to look for one. I sure hope you get, or have already "done gotten" that guitar. Pardon the Mississippi slippy!

Do the right thing! . . . . . . . . . give it a home. And if you don't like it, you can always sell it to me.
Attachments
DSCN0775.JPG
"adjustable" bridge --This type bridge may require a little modifying of your guitar. Basically inserting 2 small screws. Then the bridge can shift (both ends independently) under the heads of screws.
DSCN0775.JPG (136.04 KiB) Viewed 10167 times
johnny2hats

by johnny2hats » Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 am

DSCN0767.JPG
This is one of my 60's Japanese "bastards". I see a lot of similarities with the guitar in question.
DSCN0767.JPG (155.43 KiB) Viewed 10167 times
Here again, you see several of the Teisco fingerprints. We definitely have the same red to black fade going. Seriously, if you buy that guitar and decide you don't want it, I will be right here. Or wrong there.
johnny2hats

by hudsonnh » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am

thanks - I also have a 1968 MIJ Norma that I was "forced" to buy for $60 as part of a package deal (I wanted a Custom Vibe Squier Strat loaded pickguard and seller wanted to sell both of his guitars as a package.)
The Norma turned out to be a keeper - real low DC ohm toaster pickups (about 2Kohms) that sound really good and dirty....

With that I need to call the seller of the guitar in the opening post sometime today....
hudsonnh

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts