[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Info, opinion's, and thought's???

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Info, opinion's, and thought's???

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by oldgoat62 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:26 am

My Early '80's Revival by Hondo.....(TOKAI???)

oldgoat62

by oldgoat62 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:41 pm

to elaborate on this guitar some more: The pic's were taken on a friend's I-phone.....so the color/tint of the original clear (poly?) finish appear's a bit lighter than it actually is. It's more of a honey-color. And, to the trained eye, there are many non-original part's on this axe. There is a reason for that. I got it CHEAP, meaning that it had no electronic's, hardware, or pickguard when I obtained her in January.....all of the part's on this rig are spare's....the pickguard was made for a Gibson Explorer '76. This is my main guitar now for home-recording and playing.
oldgoat62

by hudsonnh » Mon May 13, 2013 11:18 am

Not bad!

I picked up an Aria Pro II Explorer type for $100 a few months ago.
Actually a MIJ "Aria Pro II ZZ Deluxe"....1983 or a984...
The plan is to finish as a natural body and keep the back of the neck and headstock black.

oh - where did you get the pickguard...something you already had hanging around?
I'm going to need a pickguard for my project....but something not real pricey....
hudsonnh

by oldgoat62 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Thank you hudsonnh.......the pickguard was made by Terrapin Guitar's, who I believe make the best replacement or custom pickguard's anywhere. Prices are reasonable, and comparable to any other place around.........the Explorer '76 pickguard was pretty much a drop-in for my Revival (a little CAREFUL whittling was involved to fit it better). And a couple of the screw hole's didn't line-up. No biggie.....just drilled a couple tiny hole's in the guitar body.
For your Aria ZZ though, which had no 'guard to begin with, a custom-made one would do it. You'll have to send them an accurate tracing of what you want. Make allowances for pickup ring's/bezel's and anything else like the pickup selector switch.
oldgoat62

by VintAxe » Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 am

Hi oldgoat62.

I can't say for sure but I suspect your Z was built in Korea rather than by Tokai in Japan. I'm familiar with the assertion that some Hondos were built in Japan but I've only see reasonable support for this idea in the Hondo "Professional" series guitars. If someone knows for sure which Hondo models were built in Japan please let us know. I have a 1981 Hondo Longhorn copy that I'm pretty sure is Japanese and I think other guitars from the series are as well.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by oldgoat62 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Thank's for the reply VintAxe.....You do make a good point.......I'm not sure where the Revival Explorer was made....some say it could have been made in Korea at a Samick factory. But I have accepted the fact that I may never know. I figure it's a quality instrument made in either country.....I've had a couple great Korean guitar's as well as a couple excellent Japan-made axes......I'm happy to say I can experience using such instrument's still today.
Also....people should check out any example's of the CANVAS CMF-20 (chinese-made?) guitar.....they stopped making 'em a few year's ago......mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck, two alnico humbucker's, 24 fret's, 25.5" scale, and a wrap-around gibson/prs-type bridge/tailpiece......Sleeper Guitar! for sure.....instant metal. :)
oldgoat62

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts