[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Daion Guitars - Who Knows About Them / Has One?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Daion Guitars - Who Knows About Them / Has One?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Dazz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Guys.

I’d never heard of the Daion brand before buying my first one in January 2013. From what I have read they were made in Japan between about 1978 and 1984, with some being built after that in Korea using left over parts when the Japanese factory closed down, or something like that.

I was on the lookout out for a natural finish Strat style guitar, not necessarily a Fender, but nothing too junky either. I happened to be also searching for Kinman pickups and came across an add for a Daion Rockson MDL with a set of Kinmans fitted. I’d never heard of Daion, but figured it would be odd to throw an expensive set of pickups in an average guitar.

After going to look at it and play it, I was blown away by how nicely it appeared to be built, and the neck is just killer, such a great profile, silky smooth and the tinting has gone a lovely yellow’ish colour with age.

Overall it’s in very good shape and considering the pickups are worth circa $400 Australian, the AU$299 I paid for it (including the hard flight case) seemed like a good price. Some pics of it are here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 077&type=1

After being so happy with first one, I’ve kept my eyes open for any more for sale, and a few weeks ago another Daion Rockson MDL came up. It was advertised as being a little rough around the edges, and the sound would drop in and out sometimes, but for the asking price of AU$75 and the actual purchase price of AU$60 I figured if the basic unit was as good as the first one with a little work it would be a good thing.

The neck is equally as nice as the first one, and I’ve currently got it pulled apart to sort out the electrical issues, which at first glimpse appear to be simply a touchy 5-way switch and the ground wire to the spring claw needing re-soldering.

I’m not really a Black Strat person so I’m thinking of doing a re-finish in either shell pink or surf green. Some pics and info here:

Needless to say I’m still keeping my eyes open for any more that come up cheap enough, as they do seem to be a very good guitar, and a lot cheaper than the “name brands” which quite frankly are often not that great by comparison.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a Daion electric and what they know about them as they do seem to be very well liked by those who own them.

Cheers
Darren
Ego, is not a dirty word.
Dazz

by BluesHawk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 pm

These look nice, especially the all natural one with the Kinmans...?! Man, yer a deals-magnet.

And I'm with ya about black guitars. Just don't do anything for my eyes. Black actually mutes the lines, as you probably know. Yeah, I bet you got some SFG or SP around and just burnin a hole in yer pocket, eh? :wink: Yep, either would look mighty nice.

Another nice color for a Strat is the aged white. With a parchment MOTS guard. I trust your vision and can't wait to see what yer gonna come up with.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by VintAxe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 am

Hey Dazz and Doug.

I have a Daion Savage and I must say it is aptly named. I think it has hotter pickups than any other guitar in my collection. It's well built and loads of fun to play but it's a bit of a one trick pony. The pickups refuse to clean up and when dialed up sound like you are playing through a Big Muff. Fun, but limited.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts