[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Decca Bass - info-literature

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Decca Bass - info-literature

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cokid » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:06 pm

I picked up this late 60's bass from the original owner... bought it when he was in high school. Said he played in the highschool band and last played it in 1973. Been in the case since then... 40 years unplayed till now...
All the electronics work, but I need to get some new flat wound strings for it.
I wanted to know if anyone has any more info on this bass? Looking for the year and any literature if possible. I know they made a UK version under the Audition name but still cant' find a catalog page or model number for Decca or Audition. Also is there any place to find a replacement logo label, sticker or raised logo?
Attachments
IMAG0936 (383x640).jpg
IMAG0935 (383x640).jpg
IMAG0934 (383x640).jpg
cokid

by VintAxe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Hey cokid.

The only reference I see to this bass is under the Victoria brand name. It was built by Zen On in 1965. Audition was a Zen On distributor brand so it is likely you can find these branded Zen On. It doesn't appear in my Decca literature so I doubt it was ever marketed under the Decca brand since they only sold guitars for a couple of years and I have a decent sampling of their literature from the period. If you know different, let me know.

Good score :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cokid » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks Vintaxe. I'll checkout the victoria brand... the logo on the headstock is partially rubbed off but it looks like the Decca logo from the "De" that are visible. I found almost identical under the decca catalogs, (subscribed to the catalogs), in 66-67 it looks like the DMI-301 but the pickguard is slightly different on mine. I found a few pictures the same as mine on Google with my same pickguard and have only seen the catalog pickguard in the catalog.
cokid

by BluesHawk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Nice bass, Cokid. It's truly a vintage collectable axe. And appears to be in excellent condition. I hope you'd be open to a friendly suggestion...?

If you repair or replace the headstock decal, you'll diminish the vintage value more than you'd think. Which may not be important to you.

But be aware that there are many guitar lovers who see you as the steward of this vintage guitar and who hope you'll preserve it in it's originally found condition for the next generation of guitar lovers.

Congratulations on a nice find. Enjoy your guitar in whatever way gives you pleasure.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts