The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Any info - SG430-2T?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by hudsonnh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:02 am

This guitar is about 40 miles away, so all I have are photos to go by and what a seller is telling me....

Says it's an old Made in Japan - and those slide switches, trem, and open tuning machines look like 1970's or so to me....but there's nothing on the headstock and I've been told only marking is the sticker on the neck plate - "SG430-2T"

I know folks with SG430-2T guitars, but they had binding on the neck and a 3 way switch instead of the slide switches....and were clearly marked as Nationals (plus I've seen them in scans of Strum and Drum catalogs)

So this one is a mystery to me....any of you have ideas on what it is, based on these photos?

thanks!

hudsonnh

by VINTAGE JOE » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

VINTAGE JOE

by hudsonnh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 am

Thanks - that's the ad I was referring to - but the guitar I showed in the opening post is different - even though it has that "SG430-2T" sticker on the neck plate.

The one in the flyer has "National" on the headstock, covered chrome tuners, and a 3 way toggle switch.

The one I saw for sale (photos in the opening post) has open back tuners, blank headstock, and slider switches - probably a few other differences.

I did see a YouTube video of one similar - guy said it was a 1970's National/Norma - and it is exactly the same as the one I found for sale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmz_sRrYMEw

Is it safe to assume - even with the differences between the Nationa//Norma Flyer and the one I found - that it is a 1970's National/Norma?

Guy was asking $130....with the original cheapee case....
hudsonnh

by Phizix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:35 pm

That particular guitar could have been sold by a different distributor (hence no "national" brand name) and had slightly different electronics installed from the factory. Its definitely very typical with these old Japanese guitars to see the same body style with slightly different electronic configurations or hardware being sold under a different or no name brand.

Either way $130 seems like a good deal for that guitar if it is playable.
Phizix

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts