The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Saturn violin shaped guitars

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Santes » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:59 am

Dear friends,

Everyone knows about the story of that little dream guitar made by Teisco and sold by Kawai through Sears and Eaton's catalog in 1968. The production lasted only six months.

I want to introduce you to my collection of those guitars; here they are!

From left to right, you can notice some specifications:

The first; a greenburst with a partial white pickgard. The tone and volume control knobs are covered by a metal plate. The tremolo set is pentagonal with a large arm. The pick-ups are covered by a black plastic plate. No name appears on the headstock.

The second; a nice sunburst one is identical to the first.

The third version comes from "Eaton's" French version in Montreal's catalog. The advertisement was a quarter of page in color. A greenburst with some noticeables differences: The pick-ups are molded in metal and chrome plated. The tremolo system is different, covered by a fold-up half-round device. The tremolo arm is fine and longer than the precedent version. The volume and tone knobs are all black without any metal cover. And, for sure, one of the biggest difference is the semi-pick-gard who is all tortoise as the complete pick-guard. The name "Saturn" appears on the headstock, so maybe that was the last Teisco production before it goes through to Kawai.

I love those guitars, the third one is the one I bought through "Eaton's" catalog. It came with a green covered "Symphonic" amp with an 8" speaker. I paid $50,00 for the pack back in 1968. I had to search a lot to find the other versions.

Sincerely yours,

Paul
Santes

by VintAxe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Cool collection Paul.

A similar style guitar was badged Mayfair and sold through the Grossman catalog in 1968.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Phizix » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Nice collection!

Its interesting to see the differences in the hardware and finish.
Phizix

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts