The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Anyone know what this is?

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Mattochan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Hey All,

I'm new the the forum and an avid collector of oddball guitars. Does anyone know what kind of guitar this is? I got it probably 30 years ago at a garage sale. At the time, I stripped and repainted so there are no markings. The pickups have "made in Japan" on the underside. The best guess I have heard is that it's a Teisco or Kingston because of the switches, but I have not seen any quite like it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt
Attachments
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG
Mattochan

by VintAxe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi Matt.

I've done some looking around and I have no idea who made this guitar. The body shape, switches, bridge and tailpiece are typical of Japanese guitars built by a variety of companies. Remember, during this period different companies would source parts from the same manufactures so it's hard to distinguish companies based on these parts. The most unique features of this guitar are the pickups and headstock shape. I've never seen those pups before which leads me to believe the guitar wasn't built by one of the big 4 companies (Fujigen, Guyatone, Teisco and Kawai). There were a lot of smaller companies during this period and my best guess is that this guitar came from one of these smaller factories. If you can find those pups in a branded guitar you'll be well on your way to identifying the builder.

Good luck with your search
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Mattochan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking.

Matt
Mattochan

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts