[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Chimes?!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Chimes?!

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cheepaxes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Someone just emailed me a picture of an old girlfriend of mine. The pic was probably taken about 35 years ago. In the corner, behind a bed is a guitar that looks like some sort of Teisco or Kawaii. Zooming in on the headstock I see a label: "Chimes." Anyone ever heard of Chimes guitars? Did someone just stick a non-guitar label on there?

See:

www.scottmcknight.com/CHIMES.JPG

www.scottmcknight.com/CHIMESCU.JPG

-Scott
cheepaxes

by VintAxe » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey Scott,

Those fret markers say mid 1960's Teisco. The only thing that throws me is that huge truss rod cover, looks like something Aria would use; very un-Teisco like.

I've never heard of Japanese imports badged Chimes. You may have documented another unknown importer badge.

I'll check into it and see if we can get an ID. I presume this is not your guitar in your girlfriends room. Is there more to this story that you want to share :wink: sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by wietse » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 am

that trusrod cover was used by sakai often, but the headstock and tubers are very kawai like, a picture o the whole guitar would help.
wietse

by cheepaxes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:31 am

Unfortunately that's all there is in terms of seeing the guitar. When I first saw the picture I thought maybe it was taken at a friend of mine's house. We all used to hang out together and he owned a Kingston. Now that I see the Chimes label I wonder. Think it's possible that's his Kingston with a random label pasted on?

If it's not my friend's room I don't know where the picture was taken. Or who's bed my my old girlfriend may have been sitting on. Hmmm.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by grae » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:44 pm

I will try to add to this chimes delema (sp). As right at this time a "Chimes 335 copy is on Ebay with just <5 hours left to bid. Heres some pics.
Nevermind...i cant post pics...i don't know how.
grae

by VintAxe » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi grae,

There are instruction for posting pictures under "Forum Help and Guildlines" at the top of the forum.

If you post the link to the ebay auction, I will post the pictures for you. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:00 pm

I looked for completed eBay auctions with the word "Chimes" but couldn't find one.

This is an interesting bit of news though, as it suggests that there was a company selling guitars with that name.
cheepaxes

by grae » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:25 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
Thats the ebay link for the next 40 minutes.
grae

by grae » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:16 pm

No rush now...when it comes i'll just take pictures. By then maybe i will know how to post :) No problem...i'll just tell my wife, when ups delivers "another guitar", its the forums fault...they couldn't find the link in time so i had to buy it, since it's so rare so i can send them pictures. Especially since it was so cheap. :lol:
By the way, i'm a newby at this vintage guitar thing. I bought a Seiwa Strat awhile back and it hasn't got here yet and now this Chimes 335. I better delete the link to ebay :shock:
Try again...heres the headstock and body:

grae

by cheepaxes » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:29 am

Very interesting. Thanks. :)

I found a Vintage Guitar Magazine online article about resonator guitars which contains the following paragraph:

"After ’37 Regal used the f-hole and crossed-window dies on metal guitars and sold them with or without pickguards. Distributors, studios, and mail-order houses sold Regal-built resonator instruments under brand names that included Alhambra, Broman, Bruno, Gretsch, Magno-tone, More Harmony, NIOMA, ***Norwood Chimes,*** Old Kraftsman, and Orpheum."

I can't find anything that would link this "Chime" brand to anything Japanese in the '60s or '70s.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by grae » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:47 pm

grae

by grae » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:04 am

I'm still trying to get some clues as to where this guitar originates. I have seen Silvertones/Kays with the same general headstock and same overall layout. The on/off switchs puzzle me. I've only seen one guitar yet with this particular type of switchs. It was a Sekova. It of course had a different headstock.
Heres a picture of the switchs:
OK pic didn't work heres a link:

:roll: :?
grae

by grae » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:33 am

Another piece to the puzzle is the tailpiece. Is this a common tailpiece of 60's guitars. I found at least one in this sites gallery. I guess it's called a trapeze tailpiece with a bigsby tremolo. Here's the guitar on this site: It's and i quote: conrad/aria diamond 1202t hollowbody guitar ca.1967 (paul's) Of course the headstock is not the same and my 2 little white on/off switches are missing but it's a start :)
grae

by VintAxe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi grae,

That tailpiece is common on Aria hollowbodies from 1967-69. I've also seen that tailpiece on a Guyatone violin shaped hollowbody from 1969.

Did you see the Greco picture I posted under the stereo 335 thread? It also has some characteristics shared by your Chimes.

I'm not sure why the image tags are not working for you, I'll have Don take a look and see if he can figure it out. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by grae » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:53 pm

sb
That Greco is quite similar but take those switches off that Sekova and put them on that Greco and that will look more like my Chimes. Those are the switches i've been looking for and i couldn't remember where i saw them. And thats the only place i've seen them too except on my Chimes. I don't know why image tag isn't working either but i suspect it's me... :? . Coincidentally, it happens on 3 other sites as well. :(
grae

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts