The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Unidentified Japanese SG. Help needed.

Posts related to vintage guitars manufactured in Japan or other Asian countries

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by skinnytommy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:15 pm

I've recently bought a Japanese SG copy and there is no label or serial number on it, nor anything that can tell me the age or origin of the guitar. The only thing is the "MADE IN JAPAN" sign on the plate. Has anybody ever come across similar guitar? Can you help me at least establish the approximate age of the guitar.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Attachments
DSC_0065.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0060.JPG
skinnytommy

by VintAxe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:02 am

Hey Tommy, good find.

Although I am not 100% certain I think you guitar was built by Fujigen Gakki around 1973. Your guitar shares most of the characteristics of the Fujigen built Ibanez models from this period. The characteristics include the crown inlay with no brandname on the headstock, the full body pickguard (which is unusual) and the pickups/hardware.

Fujigen was a successful Japanese company that is still in business today. Their most popular domestic brandname was Greco and they built almost all Ibanez US imports in the 1970s. Their build quality was so good, Fender chose them to build their Fender Japan guitars starting in the 1980's.

Hope you got a deal 8)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by skinnytommy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:58 am

Thanks a lot.
This guitar was a real bargain. I got it together with a vintage hard case for virtually no money.
It plays really great, maybe does not sound like an SG since it has single coils from what I hear, but the sound is really stunning. 8)
skinnytommy

Return to Vintage Japanese and Other Asian Electric Guitars

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts